The Car PC discussion thread - Page 11 - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #101 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well honestly, I built the thing so long ago, it would be difficult to document the process.
I know that I spent ALOT of time reading MP3Car's website, that is by all means the best resource for this project.
I actually just sold the car that had the PC installed, and I ripped (almost) everything out.
I am in between 2 Z's that I am looking at, and whether I install the PC in it will depend on which model I buy.
Rest assured, I will document and take lots of pictures if I do install it again.

The best advice I can give is this...
Dont go overboard with hardware.
A stripped down version of XP will run fast and smooth on older/slower hardware.
This setup has served its purpose very well, playing music, navigating me, and the occasional movie/music videos.
Dual-core and 2+ GB of RAM is just plain not necessary (for most applications)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
And this can be installed in a car for all those functions? LOL... maybe I'll replace the Bose with a car pc.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
post #103 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 01:18 AM
Base Member

I am working on a project but I am stuck. I thought some of the guru's her might be able to assist.

I need to find a way to send an multiple electrical signals to a laptop and have the computer take one of several courses of action depending upon which signal is received. Is this a hardware or software issue??

What type of interface do you think I would need????

Seems this is both hardware and software problem. In order to do this, seems these might be some of the problems I need to solve:

1. Physically build a device that will receive the electrical signals and integrate the device into the computer with an interface.

2. Write a device driver that will provide a software interface to the physical device and allow for standard operations.

3. Write a user level application that will communicate with the driver and perform the actions that you seek.

What does everyone think??!!

Last edited by z350boy; 08-24-2010 at 01:25 AM.

post #104 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via AIM to NoZYet
You'll need some form of data acquisition system (hardware), and then software to process the input. This can be any kind of problem you want. There are off the shelf products that can be mixed with custom software, there are off the shelf hardware and software packages, and there are completely custom hardware/software packages.

What exactly are you looking to monitor? How fast do you need to sample the data in question? How accurate do you need the data to be? What is the software doing with the choices that it makes (i.e. popups on the laptop, flashing LED, or steering the car)? Answer these questions and we can probably come up with a next step.

~Pat

2010 True Red Miata Sport

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

From now on we live in a world where man has walked on the Moon. It's not a miracle; we just decided to go. - Tom Hanks, Apollo 13.
post #105 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 11:25 PM
Grand Touring Member

I've been bored at work for the past few working days and I've looked into carpcs. A search of mp3car showed what a mess carpc's can be (and look like) which is quite of-putting.

I started out looking at the Core i7 series before reading an article about how to power something of that size... then again for what it will be running was an extreme over-kill.. plus physical size then becomes an issue.

My spec sheet of something appropriate would be:

Software: Centrafuse or Ride Runner
CPU: Intel Atom D525 Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz
Motherboard: Intel D525MW
Memory: 2GB
PSU: M2-ATX 6-24V DC/DC (160 Watts)
SSD: Intel X25-M 80GB/120GB/160GB
GPS Receiver: 10hz
Case: VoomPC (with TFT power connector)

Additionally, I'd add in the extra receivers required for TPMS and parking sensors and try to get my hands on the recently discontinued Garmin Mobile PC.

Expected power consumption at idle would be ~20W and processing ~30-35W. Not bad considering your average PC.

Screen: 7" transflective and high-brightness to help with daylight viewing. An open frame design will also help with install and achieve a much cleaner look IMO compared to something with built-in buttons. An example of an open-frame.

However, my little Garmin Nuvi and Neo iPod adapter are still working great so the cost/benefit isn't there. Very awesome little machines though.

2003 LeMans Sunset Touring Coupe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by aust350z; 02-13-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement