2005 350Z With Bose - Kenwood DDX-6029 Install - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hi all

I have been reading the discussions regarding upgrading the stock stereo over the past few months and have finally taken the plunge and ordered my new setup!

I have gone for the Kenwood DDX-6029 with additional BlueTooth and Ipod adaptors (approx £600 total).

I have a 2005 350Z GT Roadster which has the 7-speaker Bose.

I ordered the PAC ROEM-NIS2 off Ebay last week and apparently it has arrived this morning (I am at work currently so will find out when I get home!!) so I can now begin my install.

Just one question before I start dismantling the dash etc. - do I need an adaptor for the antenna as I don't want to find this out once everything is out and have to either:

a) put it all back together to drive to the shop
b) leave it all hanging out while I drive to the shop
c) take my wife's (nasty) Renault Scenic to the shop!!!!!

I will also (hopefully) be posting some photos of the process to give people confidence in upgrading their stock Bose system as I have been a bit nervous so far as there doesn't seem to be much information about the Bose adaptor from PAC.

Thanks for any other advice you guys can give me!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to toykilla Send a message via Yahoo to toykilla
No antenna adapter will be needed. Please do post pictures and a writeup on how everything goes. I know everyone has different problems with the Bose and different solutions. This sounds like it will work great though.

AIM: jbass350z

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hey Toykilla - thanks for the vote of confidence!

I now have everything I need (I think) including your instructions for dismantling the dash!

Just one more question before I go for it tomorrow......

Any idea if the double din unit will slot into the cubby above the current stereo as I would prefer to hide it from prying eyes?!? If so, what would you do with the current stereo? Leave it there as a dummy to fool would-be thieves as they would surely not steal the Bose ay?

Thanks again....

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 12:16 AM

yes there are ways to put ur hu in that spot above the stock hu placement. as for look unless u do some fiberglass work for the center console it would look best to leave the stock hu in the spot since there are no covers available to cover the space that there would be
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 12:57 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to toykilla Send a message via Yahoo to toykilla
Quote:
Hey Toykilla - thanks for the vote of confidence!

I now have everything I need (I think) including your instructions for dismantling the dash!

Just one more question before I go for it tomorrow......

Any idea if the double din unit will slot into the cubby above the current stereo as I would prefer to hide it from prying eyes?!? If so, what would you do with the current stereo? Leave it there as a dummy to fool would-be thieves as they would surely not steal the Bose ay?

Thanks again....
I highly doubt it would fit. You could look once you pull the dash apart though.

AIM: jbass350z

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 02:25 AM

From what I have read its not possible to install a double din HU in the cubby. However, if you dont care much for your old Bose HU you can tear it up and create a fake faceplate. Install 4 small magnets in each corner and in the dash kit and presto your done. A guy done this on another 350Z forum did it and it came out well. However, you need to be well versed in using a dremel.

Cheers,
Keith
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

I will have a look when I get the dash out this afternoon.

And, my fiberglass skills are a bit lacking so I would definitely leave the old HU in?!

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hey Keith,

I just realised what you meant about the dremel etc. You mean stick the Bose 'faceplate' over the top of the new screen that I install in the double din slot making it look like the old Bose is still in there. That's a top idea mate and I checked on Ebay and a Bose only went for about £70 so it would be no big loss to re-use it in this way!!!

Cheers
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
OK guys - need some help!!!!

I managed to remove the dash without any problems thanks to Toykilla's instructions - so thanks for that mate - very helpful and accurate!!

I got everything wired up using the PAC ROEM-NIS2 and all looked pretty good so connected up the Kenwood and............

......NOTHING!!!

So I gave in and read the manual and the only thing I found was that you should press the reset button after installing.......

......still NOTHING........

So I got my tester kit out and started by checking the Battery (yellow) and Ground (Black) wires to see if there was anything there. I traced it through each of the connections right back to the source wires from the Z and there was still nothing. I was a bit worried at this point that I had screwed something up so reconnected the Bose to make sure and all was well!!!

Just to be sure I checked my tester kit on the battery and that was fine.

Then decided to make sure the ground wire was connected by using the yellow wire and a connection to the chassis and the tester lit up nicely! Turns out the black ground wire wasn't actually doing anything - is this normal????

I remembered after doing an install a few years ago that the antenna needed to be plugged in to provide the ground connection so checked this with my tester and the antenna was grounded as expected. I hadn't connected the antenna earlier as the cable is quite short and didn't think it was required so connected this up and suddenly the Kenwood burst into life!

Next problem was there was no sound output!!!! I tried a DVD, CD and Tuner but all with no output. The DVD/CD showed as playing so presumed the HU could read the discs no problem.

I grounded the brake connection and the DVD also played ok but still with no sound.

More testing.........

.....dug out an old speaker and connected it at each of the connections to check where the sound was going amiss and it seems that there is sound on the entry to the PAC ROEM-NIS2 (the OEM-1 bit) but nothing coming out and to the speakers etc.

So, here is where I am at currently - does this sound like a faulty OEM-1 or is there something I'm not doing???

My plan for the morning is to bypass the OEM-1 etc. and connect the HU straight to the speakers/amp etc. Will this cause any problems or won't I know until I try it???

Thanks again for any advice!

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Just spotted this in the FAQs on the PAC website........

Question: 2000 Tahoe (may pertain to other GM SUV's also), when installing an aftermarket stereo, there is no sound coming from the factory speakers and subwoofer.
Answer: Connect the aftermarket stereo's remote wire (blue/wht wire) to the pink wire in the factory 9 pin connector.

Could this be my problem too?? Do I need to connect the blue/white wire somewhere?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement