Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums

Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums (https://www.350z-tech.com/forums/)
-   Audio & Electronics (https://www.350z-tech.com/forums/120-audio-electronics/)
-   -   It works! Ipod integration into 2003 factory bose w/ navigation! (https://www.350z-tech.com/forums/120-audio-electronics/51341-works-ipod-integration-into-2003-factory-bose-w-navigation.html)

Joe(NoVA) 11-06-2006 11:34 PM

Well, after lots of debate about whether the usaspec ipod adapter will work for the 2003 model, with 6 cd in dash changer, bose and factory navigation (it is listed as working with 2004-2006 models on their website), i took the plunge and bought the adapter, PA11 – NIS.

Even though it is not listed on the website, and has the FM/AM button instead of the RADIO button, the unit works flawlessly. Instead of hitting the radio button to get to the ipod, you hit the CD6 button, and the radio displays "CD Changer." The ipod plays through the speakers and is controlled by the buttons on the radio. Hitting the CD6 button again goes back to the in dash cd changer, and it works like normal. Even though it says it requires a dealer cable, it does not - it comes with everything required for installation.

Bought it on ebay for about $110 - totally worth it in my opinion.

search words: 2003 ipod '03 bose navigation touring usaspec usa spec

toykilla 11-06-2006 11:54 PM

Awesome!

350z2k3 11-25-2006 03:48 AM

Quote:

Awesome!
How did you install it?

Joe(NoVA) 12-03-2006 03:35 AM

Quote:

How did you install it?
I'm not quite sure what the question is... the unit plugs into the back of the radio, and you also need to unplug one of the connectors, plug it into the unit, and then plug in a connector where that one used to be. I ran the wire so that my ipod goes into the center console. Installation requires pulling the radio, so the the entire center console had to come apart.

mthreat 12-03-2006 07:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Well, after lots of debate about whether the usaspec ipod adapter will work for the 2003 model, with 6 cd in dash changer, bose and factory navigation (it is listed as working with 2004-2006 models on their website), i took the plunge and bought the adapter, PA11 – NIS.
Joe,

Thanks for posting your findings -- after reading your post, I bought the USASpec PA11-NIS and installed it yesterday. The 350Z Head Unit Installation wiki was a HUGE help -- props to the author of that -- way better than the 350z service manual.

I have a 2003 Touring 350Z with the Bose system. It worked perfectly with the iPod -- just plug in the iPod, hit "CD" to get to the iPod, and it works! I didn't even have an iPod before (I had to reason to have one)... so once I verified that the USASpec worked I went and got a new iPod.

I am curious exactly where others have mounted the USA-Spec device. For now, I have mine loose, under the stereo and A/C controller (in front of the gear shift). I'm planning on getting some double-sided tape and just sticking it to the bottom of the A/C controller. I'm afraid it might get too hot if I leave in on the bottom, since that's just above the transmission, and I've felt that area get hot before.

In any case, thanks for your posting... it's what makes 350z-tech such a great site.

-chris

[attachment=17974:product_black_ipod.jpg]

tru 12-18-2006 07:55 PM

Quote:

Even though it is not listed on the website, and has the FM/AM button instead of the RADIO button, the unit works flawlessly. Instead of hitting the radio button to get to the ipod, you hit the CD6 button, and the radio displays "CD Changer." The ipod plays through the speakers and is controlled by the buttons on the radio. Hitting the CD6 button again goes back to the in dash cd changer, and it works like normal. Even though it says it requires a dealer cable, it does not - it comes with everything required for installation.

Bought it on ebay for about $110 - totally worth it in my opinion.
search words: 2003 ipod '03 bose navigation touring usaspec usa spec
Hi, great to hear it works. However, can you clarify if you have a USA car or UK car please? I have a 05MY, bose system without the sat nav fitted and I am not sure if your system is the same as mine. Would you be able to descride the connections at the back or better still, do you have a picture of it please? Thank you very much in advance.

mthreat 12-18-2006 11:22 PM

Quote:

Hi, great to hear it works. However, can you clarify if you have a USA car or UK car please? I have a 05MY, bose system without the sat nav fitted and I am not sure if your system is the same as mine. Would you be able to descride the connections at the back or better still, do you have a picture of it please? Thank you very much in advance.
I have a US model 350Z, bose system without the nav (but with the subwoofer). It sounds like yours will work if it is the bose system with a CD button, and as long as you don't have XM radio. Sorry I don't have any photos of my radio, but I think there may be some in other related 350z-tech topics. (search for 'usaspec' topics with images)

tru 12-19-2006 01:13 PM

Quote:

I have a US model 350Z, bose system without the nav (but with the subwoofer). It sounds like yours will work if it is the bose system with a CD button, and as long as you don't have XM radio. Sorry I don't have any photos of my radio, but I think there may be some in other related 350z-tech topics. (search for 'usaspec' topics with images)
Hi,I found a picture of the back of the bose unit, I think it is a USA one and it has 4 sockets for connection. I have just taken my dash apart and had a look at mine and it only has 3 sockets, the bottom right one is blanked out. I understand there is a 12 pin male plug on the USAspec kit. I do not think I have the female connector for this.

Could you describe if you used ALL the connections with the USAspec kit please? Thank you.

mthreat 12-20-2006 01:20 AM

Quote:

Hi,I found a picture of the back of the bose unit, I think it is a USA one and it has 4 sockets for connection. I have just taken my dash apart and had a look at mine and it only has 3 sockets, the bottom right one is blanked out. I understand there is a 12 pin male plug on the USAspec kit. I do not think I have the female connector for this.

Could you describe if you used ALL the connections with the USAspec kit please? Thank you.
I don't remember how many sockets were on the back of my radio, but there was definitely one unused one, one for the antenna, and then one or two more used. The USASpec ipod adapter goes in between one of the existing plugs and the radio. So you have to unplug one from the back of the radio, plug in the USASpec, and then plug the existing plug into the USASpec female end. I *think* when I was all done, there may have been an unused plug on the back of the radio, maybe for the nav system input or something?

Joe(NoVA) 12-21-2006 03:06 AM

take a look at this post:

clicky

the sockets are properly identified.

copied here for your pleasure:

http://www.photodump.org/stored8/radioback.gif

1 and 2 are the plugs for the radio functions (power wires, speaker wires, etc - what an aftermarket HU would plug into with an adapter harness)
3 is the navigation
4 is the plug for an external CD changer or satellite radio.

4 is where the USAspec adapter plugs in, and in my case, there was another harness that connected inline with either number 1 or number 2, i can't remember now.

Front of my radio looks like this:

http://i19.ebayimg.com/04/i/06/30/d7/69_1.JPG

Even though it does not have the satellite button, which is what is supposedly required, it works perfectly. To select the ipod, you just push the cd6 button, and "cd changer" is displayed.