HOW TO: Vent your crank case. Attn: FI members! - Page 3 - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pez5 View Post
Hey Willy great diagrams they are great way to visualise , i did the same. What i'l do is the same and monitor the intake hose. I'm going with a HKS S/C.
How is your CC setup running has it collected anything? Your motor is built so i imagine its running without any or much blow by.
Was the valve the right diameter for the 3/8 hose you used? Just as a side note Nissan Australia quoted me $66.00 for the check valve! Thats gouging!!!
I don't know how shipping to australia is, but I doubt it is $66... I have 2 sitting in my floor, lol...

Catch can it catching a bit...I'm running 16 psi, so some oil does get by at high boost... it doesn't fill up overnight or anything, but over the course of a month it filled maybe 100mL I would guess.... smells like fuel and looks like oil, gross.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Daily Driver (65k miles): APS Intercooled TT, Built Motor, Arias, Eagle, HKS, UTEC, Deutschworks, Wilwood BBK, MB Weapons, Nito NT 555RII, ACT clutch, Fidanza flywheel, KW Variant 3 coilovers, Hotchkis sways, Cusco control arms, Authentic JDM Spec Nismo V2 body kit, Z Speed, Quiafe, HID, AIT R1 Hood, HKS EVC, HKS Hi Flow, custom 3" TD exhaust, APS 3.5" down pipes, GReddy, Defi, AEM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Performance Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the offer, by the time i wire you the $'s and postage it all mounts up. I have a couple coming with some other gear for the S/C.
Cheers

Go Swannneeeeesssss
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 01:48 AM
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via Yahoo to shezzzhot
CHECK VALVE!!!

That's what Z1 said I needed!!!!! Thanks Willie, I will be bringing my car to you for the fix!! AWESOME!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shezzzhot View Post
CHECK VALVE!!!

That's what Z1 said I needed!!!!! Thanks Willie, I will be bringing my car to you for the fix!! AWESOME!!!
!

glad I could help... I'm in Jacksonville, just stop by when you're passing through sometime ...or maybe we can knock it out at a tech day...

Daily Driver (65k miles): APS Intercooled TT, Built Motor, Arias, Eagle, HKS, UTEC, Deutschworks, Wilwood BBK, MB Weapons, Nito NT 555RII, ACT clutch, Fidanza flywheel, KW Variant 3 coilovers, Hotchkis sways, Cusco control arms, Authentic JDM Spec Nismo V2 body kit, Z Speed, Quiafe, HID, AIT R1 Hood, HKS EVC, HKS Hi Flow, custom 3" TD exhaust, APS 3.5" down pipes, GReddy, Defi, AEM
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 10:04 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy View Post
!

glad I could help... I'm in Jacksonville, just stop by when you're passing through sometime ...or maybe we can knock it out at a tech day...
I will have to come see you. The pics I took don't really tell story, well the story that I need you to see.

Here are the pics. Oil is in various places as you can see. That's can't be healthy for my car and the engine:

post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
...yaaa looks like there's some oil spray going on in there...

Okay, wait... is that piece you're holding in your first picture always disconnected??
Where are those hoses in your last picture coming from??

Last edited by willy; 05-31-2010 at 10:36 AM.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
So, since the ventilation has solved your exhaust smoke, the first thing I would try is putting a little plastic connector on the end of that hose and slapping a mini filter on the end... should take about 1 minute and no tools...
Try to point the mini filter up.... Or point it down where you don't mind oil dripping out. At least it won't spray everywhere

...I'm still trying to figure out all those connections you have going on though...

Last edited by willy; 05-31-2010 at 10:37 AM.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 10:23 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quote:
...yaaa looks like there's some oil spray going on in there...

Okay, wait... is that piece you're holding in your first picture always disconnected??
Where are those hoses in your last picture coming from??
Yes. The shop vented the entire set-up to atmosphere when the thick smoke would not stop coming out of the exhaust (this only happens when they hook-up the hoses to the catch can). So now this unattached hose sprays oil under boost. It drips oil if I'm regular driving.

The third pic is a view of the driver's side. There is a 'T' connector that is vented to atmosphere (just on top of the filter).

In the 4th pic I'm holding the second hose that's vented to atmosphere.
The 5th pic shows the 'T' connector that should be hooked up to that hose I was holding in 4th pic.

6th pic is just next to that 'T' connector, I'm showing you the "OUT' side of the catch can going to the exhaust side (has white tape on it goes to turbo).

Quote:
So, since the ventilation has solved your exhaust smoke, the first thing I would try is putting a little plastic connector on the end of that hose and slapping a mini filter on the end... should take about 1 minute and no tools...
Try to point the mini filter up.... Or point it down where you don't mind oil dripping out. At least it won't spray everywhere

...I'm still trying to figure out all those connections you have going on though...
Don't know which hose to hook up to mini filter. I just need to make a road trip to G-Ville....

post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shezzzhot View Post
Yes. The shop vented the entire set-up to atmosphere when the thick smoke would not stop coming out of the exhaust (this only happens when they hook-up the hoses to the catch can). So now this unattached hose sprays oil under boost. It drips oil if I'm regular driving.

The third pic is a view of the driver's side. There is a 'T' connector that is vented to atmosphere (just on top of the filter).

In the 4th pic I'm holding the second hose that's vented to atmosphere.
The 5th pic shows the 'T' connector that should be hooked up to that hose I was holding in 4th pic.

6th pic is just next to that 'T' connector, I'm showing you the "OUT' side of the catch can going to the exhaust side (has white tape on it goes to turbo).

Don't know which hose to hook up to mini filter. I just need to make a road trip to G-Ville....
Holy hell, you're a mess.... I thought it was just 1 disconnected hose, you have pretty much nothing attached to anything, lol.

Ok, essentially what you have right now is just free ventilation of both sides of the crank case...which is an effective method for venting the crank case, as you have seen. The catch can really isn't doing anything though...that's why you're getting oil spray everywhere. The filters are the best way to minimize this...

If that Tee is running where I think it is, you're right, you do need a check valve...

What EMS are you running/ how is your idle?

Last edited by willy; 05-31-2010 at 10:37 PM.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 01:19 AM
Grand Touring Member

Quote:
Holy hell, you're a mess.... I thought it was just 1 disconnected hose, you have pretty much nothing attached to anything, lol.

Ok, essentially what you have right now is just free ventilation of both sides of the crank case...which is an effective method for venting the crank case, as you have seen. The catch can really isn't doing anything though...that's why you're getting oil spray everywhere. The filters are the best way to minimize this...

If that Tee is running where I think it is, you're right, you do need a check valve...

What EMS are you running/ how is your idle?
EMS= TurboXS UTEC
Idle= When warm sits just at 1,000 rpm. Idle is fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement