Strut brace with plenum spacer? - Page 2 - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 06:49 PM
Grand Touring Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
From what I understand, the Hotchkiss sways are the way to go. They also make a kit that consists of sways and springs which apparently can't be beat for the money. You might look into that.

'03 Enthusiast-UpRev-Nismo-VOLK-Stillen-Motordyne-INGS+1-Lightwerkz-Brembo-StopTech-Injen-K&N
275WHP/245WTQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 10:49 AM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to i8acobra
APS plenum by itself, no problem (see my avatar). 1/2"spacer by itself, no problem. APS with 1/2" spacer is a problem.

Aaron B.
'08 Mustang GT/CS
'87 Nissan Hardbody - The "Mud Mobile" (454,000 miles and still counting)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Cobra. I'm gonna go with the APS Plenum...I would go with the Kinetix plenum but it has a spot cut out for the stock strut bar and im switching to the stillen strut bar so it wouldnt really look right. I guess I could go all out and add the Kinetix plenum, keep the stock strut bar, add the Stillen strut bar, add the Stillen core support...my front end wouldn't move an inch, add a couple pounds in the front, and have a better air intake...hmm, decisions decisions.

after this is done (if my warranty allows me), and Hotchkiss support bars... next up is 1"/1.5" Tenabe or Sprint drop springs and camber arms.

HALFPINT

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Grand Touring Member

If you're not racing the car, or driving it competitively, why do you want so much bracing?

The Z is already pretty stiff from the factory. On the track you might notice the difference but on the street I'm not sure if you're going to see a massive performance benefit.

I'd be looking at a Hotchkis TVS kit, a factory VLSD, and tires before I went bracing the chassis if I was concerned about handling.

"I swear, officer, its all factory options!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Understeer is when you hit the tree with the front wheel.
Oversteer is when you hit it with the back.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the tree...
Torque is how far you drag it...
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:31 AM
Enthusiast Member

the APS plenum was discontinued a long time ago - might be able to find one used though

underbraces - GT Spec does some excellent ones, these are what Stillen copied essentially. If you give me a list of all your current mods and what you use the car for, I can recommend which are the best bang for the buck to do.

You're not going to improve on the stiffness of the stock front strut brace. At best you can get a nicer looking one, or one with a brake master cylinder stopper (Carbing..I had this, awesome piece), save some lbs vs stock, or one with better clearance to a spacer. Stiffness wise, you're not going to get any gains though. We just got in a Stillen one for a customer, and it was a nicely made piece. The core support - I know NISMO uses it on their own "version" but frankly. it's a waste - one look at where it actually mounts to will show you this. There are many things on the NISMO version that are very desirable - this brace isn't one of them (unless of course you just like the way it looks, in which case, by all means, get it!)
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
No, I dont plan on racing it but I do go for spirited driving a lot. The main reason for the Stillen strut bar and core support is the style that it was made. I plan on getting either a taller plenum or a 1/2" spacer under the stock plenum...in which case, a strut bar that goes around it is needed (like the Stillen one). I know this is like blasphemy to Nissan, but I'm not really a fan of Nismo.

Scathing you have a good point about having too much bracing...I was exaggerating when I said I'd put all 3 of the braces on. If I can find a plenum mod that is equivalent to the Kinetix plenum (and the same style) I would get that one instead. The only thing keeping me from the Kinetix is the cut out (molded) area that allows you to keep the stock strut bar. You mentioned tires..right now im running on Hankooks and also have a set of Sumitomos sittin in the garage. As for the TVS kit and VLSD, thats getting out of my price range for the time being. I'll keep those in mind when I want to move up. 1+

Z1, that sucks about the APS plenum...I wasn't aware of that. I havn't had the car for very long so as far as engine, drive train, suspension, and chassis go...its bone stock. I guess I think backwards from the norm, I prefer handling and control first over speed and acceleration. There are some underbraces made by Stillen that I don't understand how they would help (i.e. the ones around the differential and down the side of the car near the transmission). I'll have to look into the ones by GT Spec and see if I like them better.

Thanks guys.

HALFPINT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement