Cobb Tuning vs. Intake & Plenum Mods - Page 2 - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 04:51 PM
Grand Touring Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Sisko99 Send a message via Yahoo to Sisko99
I've actually been over on the Cobb Tuning Forums asking questions about why they only did stock maps with HFCs and cat back exhaust.....and told them that the JWT popcharger is perhaps the most common first performance mod known to the Z world. I haven't gotten any sort of official response yet....wonder if I will.

Don't completely discount the AccessPort. While for most it's a paperweight at the moment.....once they release the tuning software, it won't be. The Subie guys swear by it. My advice would be to do your breathing mods as you like and give Cobb some time to get the tuning software out.

<div align='right'>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004.5 Daytona Blue Enthusiast 5AT - #99/#34/#314 - "Sara" - 114,000 miles
Borla | JWT | Kumho/Nitto | Hawk/CarboTech | Alpine | Hotchkis | Brembo | GReddy | Z1 | Carbing | Koni | MB Motoring | Nismo | Samco

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Touring Member

^^^^^ agreed they are too new to the Z market give them some time. Plus for the money you can get some better piggy backs like UTEC EMANAGE FCON

DAN

STANCE-SPC-GTM-HKS-FAST INTENTIONS-K&N-HPS-UPREV
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks so far for all the advice, guys. I think you&#39;re right. I&#39;ll either look at other options or just hold off until Cobb comes out with the necessary updates.

You&#39;ve mentioned some already, but are there any other tuning options that have cool features, ease of use, and ease of uninstallation that I might want to look at?

I actually called up Cobb yesterday to see what kind of solutions they either had or are working on, and the guy I spoke with said they&#39;re currently working on stuff for the 07-08 Z&#39;s, but they have plans to create a "Stage2 Plus" map for people in similar situations that would allow for intake and plenum mods. He couldn&#39;t give me a hard date, but it didn&#39;t seem like it was too far into the future.

So I don&#39;t know. I might just wait on the Cobb or get something else if it&#39;s good enough - I still need to set aside some time and do the appropriate research on the ones that you guys mentioned already, because the "good enough" alternative could be right in front of me.

2006 350Z Enthusiast (6MT)
| VORTECH V3 Supercharger, 2.87" Pulley | STILLEN Headers | MOTORDYNE: MREV2, 5/16" Spacer, ART Pipes, Shockwave TDX V2 Exhaust | Much, much more... | 413whp 340wtq |

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 09:57 AM

Call me a pessimist, but I never put much in people&#39;s/comapany&#39;s "word" that somethng will eventually come out.

Even when the new maps come out, the Revup system is better....just because you can have it altered for your specific car....and you don&#39;t need to goto a tuner like some of the other options out there.

I don&#39;t own any brand of ECU tuning for my car, as I don&#39;t see it being worth the $700-1000. investment (same reason I don&#39;t have a catback) but if I were to go that route, I&#39;d most certainly get the Revup setup.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
QUOTE (WTX350Z @ Jul 24 2008, 06:57 AM)
Quote:
Call me a pessimist, but I never put much in people&#39;s/comapany&#39;s "word" that somethng will eventually come out.

Even when the new maps come out, the Revup system is better....just because you can have it altered for your specific car....and you don&#39;t need to goto a tuner like some of the other options out there.

I don&#39;t own any brand of ECU tuning for my car, as I don&#39;t see it being worth the $700-1000. investment (same reason I don&#39;t have a catback) but if I were to go that route, I&#39;d most certainly get the Revup setup.
To clarify, when you say, "Revup," are you referring to the UpRev Osiris?
https://order.uprev.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Sc...ategory_Code=OS

| VORTECH V3 Supercharger, 2.87" Pulley | STILLEN Headers | MOTORDYNE: MREV2, 5/16" Spacer, ART Pipes, Shockwave TDX V2 Exhaust | Much, much more... | 413whp 340wtq |
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 08:14 PM
Base Member

@Everyone

I&#39;ve found the actual dyno numbers done by Cobb.

http://www.velocityfactor.net/wwwroot/Prod...b350zAPDyno.JPG

They did three runs on a Mustang dyno (not sure if that would affect the numbers), Run 1 = Stage 2 map, Run 2 = Stage 1 map and Run 3 = stock map.

03 Brickyard / Touring / 6MT

Injen CAI
Motordyne 5/16th Spacer
TiTek Test Pipes
XO2 Exhaust
DIY Grounding Kit
DIY Oil Catch Can
Pioneer DEH-P4000UB with HD Tuner
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 10:28 AM

QUOTE (NAGA @ Jul 24 2008, 08:43 AM)
Quote:
To clarify, when you say, "Revup," are you referring to the UpRev Osiris?
https://order.uprev.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Sc...ategory_Code=OS
yup, sry, damn that dyslexia, or confusion....something.
Uprev is what I was trying to talk about.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Okay. Yeah, I&#39;ve been looking at that Osiris, and I&#39;m really liking it. The only thing I&#39;m not sure about are: ease of uninstallation and return to stock state (ie: undetectable).

Those dyno results from the Cobb are definitely impressive, but as someone above mentioned - a map is a map. Theoretically, ease of use, price, and fancy features (like the 0-60, 1/4 mi performance measurements of the Cobb) should be the only things that separate things like this.

As of now, I&#39;m leaning toward the UpRev, but I&#39;m still undecided. Thanks for the help so far, guys. Definitely makes a difference.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 12:31 PM
Base Member

This just in, Cobb Tuning has updated their maps for the 350Z.

They now offer a "Stage 2+" map that is safe to use with CAI&#39;s, test pipes, HFC&#39;s, plenum spacers, headers, and big &#39;ol aftermarket exhausts.

Remember that all AccessPORT maps are free through Cobb Tuning&#39;s website <- this makes me want the Cobb AccessPORT

I&#39;d love to be the first to review this but spending $695 would get me in trouble while planning for a wedding...

03 Brickyard / Touring / 6MT

Injen CAI
Motordyne 5/16th Spacer
TiTek Test Pipes
XO2 Exhaust
DIY Grounding Kit
DIY Oil Catch Can
Pioneer DEH-P4000UB with HD Tuner
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
QUOTE (TreeFidy @ Aug 20 2008, 09:31 AM)
Quote:
This just in, Cobb Tuning has updated their maps for the 350Z.

They now offer a "Stage 2+" map that is safe to use with CAI&#39;s, test pipes, HFC&#39;s, plenum spacers, headers, and big &#39;ol aftermarket exhausts.

Remember that all AccessPORT maps are free through Cobb Tuning&#39;s website <- this makes me want the Cobb AccessPORT

I&#39;d love to be the first to review this but spending $695 would get me in trouble while planning for a wedding...
Fantastic news! Good find!

I have a wedding of my own to plan, too. Fortunately, my fiancee is a very understanding one. We all have our toys....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement