User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I've been researching ways to go acheive bigger NA numbers and I've stumbled across engine builders such as the nearby Speed Force Racing where they sell 3.7L engines ready to build without the heads, cams, etc. I haven't contacted them yet, so what do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 10:44 PM
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via AIM to NoZYet
I really like the idea, and may follow this route, but consider I'm not sure I'd do this one (I'd personally go with Forged's setup). The pistons and rods used are somewhat ambiguous, they list Pauter and Aria products but then have an added price for them, be very careful with this (no point in dropping that kinda cash and not getting re-enforced components. Also, don't fall for the $4500 price tag. On top of that you'll need heads, cams, probably a stand alone ECU, and a bunch of labor. The other consideration is that 3.7 isn't particularly large, most stroked Z's run between 3.8 and 4.2L. If you're good with that though, this is a great route. For a 3.7 I'd guess probably 330-350 at the rear wheel (unless you go nuts, Nissan's race prepped 3.7 should hit about 380-390), a 4.2 is thought to be good for up to 400-420ish, at least accordign to the people I've talked with about it (no shops included). A raised compression ratio, etc would also help. Good luck.

Pat

2010 True Red Miata Sport

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

From now on we live in a world where man has walked on the Moon. It's not a miracle; we just decided to go. - Tom Hanks, Apollo 13.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to toykilla Send a message via Yahoo to toykilla
How do they already have VQ37HR motors?

AIM: jbass350z

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Grand Touring Member

Its not a 37hr, its a 35de either overbored or stroked (my guess is overbored).

Pat

From now on we live in a world where man has walked on the Moon. It's not a miracle; we just decided to go. - Tom Hanks, Apollo 13.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Grand Touring Member

Doesn't the G37 have a VQ37HR?

And is the engine going to fit? The hood's going to need to change, but who knows what else has been done to the steering, suspension etc? The steering column is apparently different when you compare revup and non-revup; this is a far bigger change than that.

"I swear, officer, its all factory options!"

Understeer is when you hit the tree with the front wheel.
Oversteer is when you hit it with the back.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the tree...
Torque is how far you drag it...
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
How do they already have VQ37HR motors?
moreover how have theyfabricated forged internals for them already?... There aren't many boost options yet even if they did...

Daily Driver (65k miles): APS Intercooled TT, Built Motor, Arias, Eagle, HKS, UTEC, Deutschworks, Wilwood BBK, MB Weapons, Nito NT 555RII, ACT clutch, Fidanza flywheel, KW Variant 3 coilovers, Hotchkis sways, Cusco control arms, Authentic JDM Spec Nismo V2 body kit, Z Speed, Quiafe, HID, AIT R1 Hood, HKS EVC, HKS Hi Flow, custom 3" TD exhaust, APS 3.5" down pipes, GReddy, Defi, AEM
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Interesting, yeah i just assumed they must mean the vq37hr rather than just a bored/stroked vq35de since they were only offering a 3.5 and 3.7 liter engine. It seems if its not the vq37hr they wouldn't just offer thoes two variants, and that they would offer a 3.8 or 4.2? You guys are probably right tho that they haven't gotten hold of the new vq37hr. What do you guys think the cost would be to get a built from scratch 3.8/4.2L engine with all the goodies aka forged internals, upgraded cams heads rods etc.? Including labor, tuning, install etc? I've read the post about "how to do twins right" but that was for going FI rather than going larger displacement. Im realling starting to want to see what is possible going NA, hopefully spending no more than 20-25k and getting close to 400 rwhp.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 02:19 AM
Grand Touring Member

John (07-350GT) and I discussed this yesterday. We came up with a roughly $20k pricelist for a 4.2L engine. Forged Performance is selling a built shortblock for about 9k, cams would be about 2k, FCON would be 3k, new heads are about 4k, other little stuff probably 3-4k, labor and tuning are probably a couple grand. So low 20's probably, maybe cheaper, it would depend on alot of choices you make. If you buy just the parts and not the built block it may be a little cheaper, I dunno. You'd probably be looking at right around 400hp.

Pat

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
cool thats about what i was thinking. you think a 3.9 final drive and a quaife or other LSD would be a good idea with this setup? also how high of a redline could be achieved? 7500? 8000??
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Touring Member

I'm waiting until someone swaps in the HR, and strokes it to 3.9 or 4.0 liter. In the future, if the GT-R comes with a 3.7 or 3.8, they will definitely stroke it to 3.9 or 4.0. But in the meantime, someone should try it, and maybe even use FI on it like what the GT-R will have. VQ40 comes from the DE basically, and you could stroke it to a 4.2 and use FI on it. Everything comes down to time, and money. Personally I would just stroke the current 3.5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement