Engine Modification Guide - Naturally Aspirated - Page 2 - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to toykilla Send a message via Yahoo to toykilla
(Thread Starter)
Updated. Feel free to add/edit/move/delete as you see fit.

AIM: jbass350z

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Someone did it!

However, it looks like so much work, i.e. time, effort, money, experimenting, etc.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 01:08 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to NoZYet
From the look of it, its been done a couple times before. In Ninja's post Nismo and Tomei were both well over 300hp, and I think someone in that thread mentioned another person. However, this is an awesome build. Now the trick is to start doing it cheaper and easier. I think that Nismo and Tomei showed that new heads were pretty important, so I think the secret to mid 300hp may just be heads and a compression bump. Not exactly something everyone would be wild about, but I like the idea and I'm sure there are others out there that do as well.

As far as stages, I'd say go with:

Stage 1 - Intake ($150), headers($??), cat deletes (optional) ($??), exhaust($1000), and UTEC ($800) or similar. Won't give much power here, but probably will later on (Probably $2-3000)

Stage 2 - New heads ($2500) and cams ($1500), now we're starting to see some power (About $4000)

Stage 3 - High compression 12:1-15:1 built engine/ stroked engine($???). No idea what this would be putting down, probably 350 like Nismo and Tomei, but a stroker might be a nice power adder too. (Price is gonna be pretty high here

Just my $0.02, but stages 1 and 2 aren't rediculous, granted a supercharger for the same price will put out higher figures, but thats going to be a pretty solid engine at least I'd think. Labor might be higher for thie route as setting up the heads probably isn't as common or easy as setting up a supercharger or single turbo. I also have no idea what the power band would look like on this.

Pat

2010 True Red Miata Sport

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

From now on we live in a world where man has walked on the Moon. It's not a miracle; we just decided to go. - Tom Hanks, Apollo 13.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 02:52 PM
veX

No offense, but stages aren't always the best unless there's a lot of activity going on. It may help to make stages according to price (ie, 1-1500, 2500, 5,000).

IMO you're much better off saving up the extra cash and buying a 2nd motor or taking the one you have out and doing a bottom-to-top build. You actually end up saving more money that way since you won't have to pull the motor a 2nd time to replace the pistons should you decide later on you wanted to add something but have conflicting parts. Something like what Ninja350z mentioned is sweet cuz you bang out everything in 1 shot.

Good write up. I can see you've put a lot of hard work into it and I appreciate it! Keep it up!
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 02:42 AM

def put the expected gains for each mod. that is a big +1 for people.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 04:22 AM

I'll probably add an edit then..

Ninja edit: Urhmmm.. says it's locked for modification. Am I an artard and just can't figure out how or is it locked down?

Pirate edit: Yeah it's locked. Weak sauce.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 02:24 PM

what are the NISMO spec2 cylinder heads and were can i find some?
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Base Member

i have spent thousands od $ on NA and I agree with many that they really just make it sound better.....hi flow cats or test pipes cheapest best mod in my book....intake plenum second....exhasut system....pop charger just made it sound cool at WOT.....exhaust didnt do much 'cept for the cats..intake gives nice mid range and up pull and growl.....

i will go TT and quit farting around..only ten grand for a TT/ ha! think again...10k for turbo only, then 10 more for lower end rebuil..heads brakes intsall etc..I figure 30-50 grand and the car can be bad with good brakes susoension etc....

my opinion only...and we all know everyone has one of those....
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 03:18 PM
Base Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_K View Post
I don't know if I agree with everything in each "stage." Not everyone has the $$$ for certian parts. IE: Look how I gained 17whp from $800 of parts than went to an EMS and gained another 10 in the mid-range. I don't have a cat-back exhaust or after-market LSD. I also hate ECU flashes! I don't agree with them at all! Sorry you won't change my mind on them. I think new owners just need to do research and choose mods to what they are wanting & can afford for their car.
+1 if you have all this money to go and build an NA car then just do FI its cheaper and you'll wee more gains for the price of all these NA mods to even hit 300whp you can buy a Vortech SC kit and be throwing down 340whp for cheaper do reaserch.... bottom line

I hAz BoOsT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement