FI vs NA: The poll to end all polls - Page 3 - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
View Poll Results: Which application does your car fall under?
NA 240 60.30%
FI 158 39.70%
Voters: 398. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 128 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 09:04 PM
Ninja350Z

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Different strokes for different folks. Terri did a good job of explaining herself. For her needs, she wants to stay NA. That's kind of what I wanted this poll to reflect. How many are NA and stay that way, and how many are now FI and like it.

Let's keep the discussions going!

Lee, 100+hp gains are fine for serious racers or people who have the time to go out to track events or meets. But there are those who don't mind staying NA and paying a few thousand dollars for bolt ons for a gain of say 20-30 hp but also a better suspension and handling capabilities.
What about 100hp gains plus the suspension? makes for one helluva ride my car only has 353 hp and 328TQ......its not hard to manage at auto X, plus I think that is pretty safe on the stock block. Now the 240 I seriously doubt you could drive in auto X without spinning out, but it was not built for that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 04:34 AM
Enthusiast Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to dubc02
all motor baby!!

<span style="font-family:Georgia">live to Z another day
NA_tural aspirations
post #23 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 11:43 AM

I&#39;m happy with the NA power I&#39;m putting down. A few more would be nice for track work. But I honestly doubt most people are using their FI Z to the most of their abilities.

Simply put. It&#39;s very difficult to use 300hp on the street.. Let alone 400, 500, etc.. Don&#39;t misunderstand. That much power IS a blast. But it gets old quick when you don&#39;t have a balanced machine.

Being able to use that power is what&#39;s important to me. Yes, you get better gains with FI. Yes, it does make more power per dollar. BUT, you DO have to spend MORE dollars to get there and imo, get there safely.

I see it on the track almost every time out. Someone in a Turbocharged this or that, can&#39;t handle it worth a shit. They putz around the turns, then all of a sudden ... 5 seconds down the striaght, they are pulling on me. Only to be braking waaay too early and never carrying the proper amount of speed on turn exit. Why? Because they can&#39;t handle the power.

So unless you are flat footed in your FI car, tossing it around corner to corner; I&#39;d bet that the avg. person buying a Z, certainly cannot handle FI. Let alone the hp the car has stock.

It&#39;s a growing trend to Turbo/SC the Z. It&#39;s the Hot thing to do. Import car of the year this and that.. And now that Tokyo Drift has been seen by most street racers.. it&#39;ll only get more popular.

It usually sounds like this every time:

"This car isn&#39;t fast enough.. I need more power!"

Translation: "I&#39;m not fast enough with this car, I better add more power to hide my poor driving skills."

Again, I&#39;m not saying EVERYONE is like this and no body can handle the power. I just doubt that even 1% of those people need or use it to it&#39;s potential.

To summarize. If you don&#39;t have loads of money to spend. Stay away from your FI "project".

over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___TUNING CONCEPT, JAPAN PREMIER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Awesome writeup, Chris. Well said. That makes a lot of sense for road course applications. Of course, the Japanese are pretty good at driving those FI machines around the track, as are other professional drivers who have a team budget and loads of experience.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
post #25 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Awesome writeup, Chris. Well said. That makes a lot of sense for road course applications. Of course, the Japanese are pretty good at driving those FI machines around the track, as are other professional drivers who have a team budget and loads of experience.

Not just for road course applications. In pretty much sums up everything from street driving to motorsports. It only gets worse on the street.

There are lots of people that are pretty good with those FI machines... But as you mention they are professional drivers. Who can handle the extra power. And here&#39;s the kicker... they NEED it.

I&#39;m not siding against FI in general. I love it. I use it. Just not on this Z.

post #26 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 01:25 PM
Ninja350Z

Quote:
Not just for road course applications. In pretty much sums up everything from street driving to motorsports. It only gets worse on the street.

There are lots of people that are pretty good with those FI machines... But as you mention they are professional drivers. Who can handle the extra power. And here&#39;s the kicker... they NEED it.

I&#39;m not siding against FI in general. I love it. I use it. Just not on this Z.

If one does not adapt their driving habits to leverage the new-found power, then yes.. it would be a waste of time. However, FI&#39;ing a vehicle that I am already well acquainted with, including it&#39;s already inherent deficiencies, adaptation is not all that hard... IMHO if you learned the cars shortcomings when you were N/A it would make it easier to handle your new found FI power.

post #27 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 01:32 PM

Quote:
IMHO if you learned the cars shortcomings when you were N/A it would make it easier to handle your new found FI power.

I don&#39;t follow you. I&#39;m not sure what you meant, but I am by no means saying that none of our members can handle FI.

Simply put; the avg. person that buys a Z, wants TT or T or SC right off the bat.. And haven&#39;t even learned what the car can do in it&#39;s current form.

Typical hiding of flaws with more power.

post #28 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Ninja350Z

Quote:

Simply put; the avg. person that buys a Z, wants TT or T or SC right off the bat.. And haven&#39;t even learned what the car can do in it&#39;s current form.
I agree with you 100%.....the point that I was trying to convey, was learn the car, learn the tendencies of the car, play with the setting on your coilovers and sways, set it to your driving style. Then when you go FI, it should make it easier for you harness the power and make good use of it.

I understand 100% what you are saying, that is the exact reason I did not go overboard on power, I wanted the car to be a good all around car, the HP I have gives you nice acceleration out of the corners, but not too much that would hinder you, or make you have to work really hard to keep the rear from getting away. FI is like alot of other vices done in moderation (of HP) it can be a fun.

post #29 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I agree with you 100%.....the point that I was trying to convey, was learn the car, learn the tendencies of the car, play with the setting on your coilovers and sways, set it to your driving style. Then when you go FI, it should make it easier for you harness the power and make good use of it.

I understand 100% what you are saying, that is the exact reason I did not go overboard on power, I wanted the car to be a good all around car, the HP I have gives you nice acceleration out of the corners, but not too much that would hinder you, or make you have to work really hard to keep the rear from getting away. FI is like alot of other vices done in moderation (of HP) it can be a fun.

I understand what you said now.

welcome back

post #30 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Ninja350Z

Quote:
I understand what you said now.

welcome back

Sponsored Links
Advertisement