FI vs NA: The poll to end all polls - Page 2 - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
View Poll Results: Which application does your car fall under?
NA 240 60.30%
FI 158 39.70%
Voters: 398. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 128 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 07:06 PM
Grand Touring Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Well, let's see it. With all the talk about how one side is better than the other (based on personal preference), we should just do some data collection.

If you want to participate, do so with all honesty. For those that like NA and want to stay that way, vote NA. Same goes for FI, but you must have a FI car to vote that way.

Okay the rules of the thread don't allow me to vote.

I'd vote FI, but I'm not there yet. Soon however......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 128 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 07:13 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quote:
And what do you expect to gain out of N/A mods?
a few HP and a ton of money, seriously if I bought a new Z it would stay stock unless I went FI, bolt ons yield no really marked increase in HP, sometimes bolt ons will make you loose HP.

N/A Z ---suspension upgrades maybe exhaust for sound.
I would agree with this.

There's a great thread at the other site I think titled "What mods do you regret". A VERY long thread. And from what I gathered, most people continue to want more power. Hence they are never satisfied with the minimal gains of bolt ons for our car. If you want more power, I'd not buy one NA mod and save for FI. Your plans continue to change so alot of those NA things may be useless once you make the decision.

post #13 of 128 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
And what do you expect to gain out of N/A mods?
a few HP and a ton of money, seriously if I bought a new Z it would stay stock unless I went FI, bolt ons yield no really marked increase in HP, sometimes bolt ons will make you loose HP.

N/A Z ---suspension upgrades maybe exhaust for sound.
After years of seeing and reading what others have done, I guess I'm not as impressed with numbers as I used to be. A car with 600 hp is nothing if they don't use it properly. If it's just a dyno queen and goes to shows, then it never gets driven which is boring.

There is nothing wrong with FI if done correctly, and I wouldn't mind having a daily driver that is FI. But I like my Z and I want it to last for a long time. I think doing cams, headers, pistons, etc and keeping it NA but being able to smoke plenty of cars on the track is a hell of a way to brag. That's my 2 cents.

Quote:
I would agree with this.

There's a great thread at the other site I think titled "What mods do you regret". A VERY long thread. And from what I gathered, most people continue to want more power. Hence they are never satisfied with the minimal gains of bolt ons for our car. If you want more power, I'd not buy one NA mod and save for FI. Your plans continue to change so alot of those NA things may be useless once you make the decision.
It may take me months to decide on a 'mod' for the Z, but I don't regret most of them. One cannot regret modding the Z when new parts come out every 6 months. Thinking about it just frustrates the person and makes it less fun than it should be.

If you know what you want, then by all means go for it. The Z is a great car for the newb to get into the import/tuner scene. There's a nice learning curve with the Z.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin

post #14 of 128 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 10:30 PM
Ninja350Z

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:

There is nothing wrong with FI if done correctly, and I wouldn't mind having a daily driver that is FI. But I like my Z and I want it to last for a long time. I think doing cams, headers, pistons, etc and keeping it NA but being able to smoke plenty of cars on the track is a hell of a way to brag. That's my 2 cents.
It may take me months to decide on a 'mod' for the Z, but I don't regret most of them. One cannot regret modding the Z when new parts come out every 6 months. Thinking about it just frustrates the person and makes it less fun than it should be.
If you are doing pistons, headers, Cams etc, that is going to be damn close to a engine build, so why not go FI and build the engine, on the track I am assuming you mean a road course, its all about the driver and the tires and suspension, you can go faster with less power if you have the correct suspension and tire set up. I am with Robin, you better map out the direction you want to go else you are going to end up wasting alot of money. If you want power conservative FI is your answer.

post #15 of 128 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
If you are doing pistons, headers, Cams etc, that is going to be damn close to a engine build, so why not go FI and build the engine, on the track I am assuming you mean a road course, its all about the driver and the tires and suspension, you can go faster with less power if you have the correct suspension and tire set up. I am with Robin, you better map out the direction you want to go else you are going to end up wasting alot of money. If you want power conservative FI is your answer.
Good point about being close to a built engine. And yes, I was thinking in terms of a road course.

Question that begs to be answered is whether any FI is as reliable as NA in the long run. Or does it just mean having to schedule a tuning session all the time?

My quest continues...

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
post #16 of 128 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 01:06 AM
Ninja350Z

Quote:
Good point about being close to a built engine. And yes, I was thinking in terms of a road course.

Question that begs to be answered is whether any FI is as reliable as NA in the long run. Or does it just mean having to schedule a tuning session all the time?

My quest continues...
It really depends on how extreme you go with the FI, I am at 353HP and 328 TQ, have had zero problems, its all in the tune and who you get to do it, i have my A/F ratio checked about every 6 months and its still dead on from the original dyno sheet. It also depends on you driving habits any engine will not take the abuse of wide open driving all the time, if you take care of her, get her tuned right, you should be good.

post #17 of 128 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 01:15 PM
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via AIM to jinxxycat Send a message via Yahoo to jinxxycat
I am pretty determined that I'm staying NA. Too much $$$ involved for FI and too much risk if you don't spend that big $$$. I like my baby the way she is, I am not out to be the fastest car on the track or the street. Plus I only go to the track a few times a year, and she's only driven on nice days and parked over the winter.

To me the risk of FI is too great for what I want to do w/ her (have fun!!!)

post #18 of 128 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 01:26 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quote:
After years of seeing and reading what others have done, I guess I'm not as impressed with numbers as I used to be. A car with 600 hp is nothing if they don't use it properly. If it's just a dyno queen and goes to shows, then it never gets driven which is boring.

If you know what you want, then by all means go for it. The Z is a great car for the newb to get into the import/tuner scene. There's a nice learning curve with the Z.

By regret I mean, regretting buying the NA mods for the minimal gains. They feel they could have just saved that money and been that much closer to FI.

post #19 of 128 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 03:12 PM
Ninja350Z

Quote:
By regret I mean, regretting buying the NA mods for the minimal gains. They feel they could have just saved that money and been that much closer to FI.
No Doubt, after you bolt on all the N/A mods you will be in the same price range as FI, and the bolt ons will result in only minimal HP gain.

post #20 of 128 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Different strokes for different folks. Terri did a good job of explaining herself. For her needs, she wants to stay NA. That's kind of what I wanted this poll to reflect. How many are NA and stay that way, and how many are now FI and like it.

Let's keep the discussions going!

Lee, 100+hp gains are fine for serious racers or people who have the time to go out to track events or meets. But there are those who don't mind staying NA and paying a few thousand dollars for bolt ons for a gain of say 20-30 hp but also a better suspension and handling capabilities.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement