FI vs NA: The poll to end all polls - Page 13 - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
View Poll Results: Which application does your car fall under?
NA 240 60.30%
FI 158 39.70%
Voters: 398. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #121 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 01:30 AM
Base Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
QUOTE (Robert_K @ Jun 6 2008, 11:44 PM)
Quote:
Hate to tell you this but with the VQ35DE if you spent the same money on both a F/I & N/A build, the F/I build will see larger gains. Not saying a N/A is bad, wrong, or pointless. Just you won't net the same gains. Now I have yet to see a VQ35HR N/A build but the Greddy HR TT build I beleive was in the mid/high 400whp range.

Now with the Greddy HR TT system the 125 to 175 power gain is that on a stcok block? With no replacement of the V-train?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 128 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
From what I've read or understand, you'll need to upgrade that v-train for sure. There's no safe bet that the stock block on the HR can handle over 400hp. It's guaranteed that one should be on the safe side and invest in the usual forged internal parts to ensure that the engine doesn't blow.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
post #123 of 128 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 06:27 AM
Base Member

Well I'm glad that after 7 pages of reading everyone's ideas and opinions on FI/NA I get a chance to voice my own opinion. Being a veteran of both NA and FI I'd have to say that the 350z is the best NA car I've had the opportunity to drive...that being said I plan on making my project motor FI. Why?

For the simple reason you've read at least 6 times already: Fun factor! $$$ + work + time= big payoff on the street/track/wherever!!! The way I see it, paying out the last dollar of your paycheck to have someone else do the work FOR you is probably one of the worst wastes of money a true motorhead could do. IMO the hands on, dirty and greasy work is the best part in all this! (Besides the drive of course! What good is effort without results?) With that said, I submit that there are a lot of things the average Joe just cannot do in his two car garage with the minivan parked next to the asphault grizzly! For that...yeah, take it to a pro and get it done RIGHT the FIRST time! There is no substitute for experience, and blowing your motor into little aluminum bits is not an experience you want to have under your belt! Learn from others' mistakes and don't repeat them!
Really you could look at it this way: NA or FI, you drive like an idiot and don't tune it properly, you're going to have to spend a whole lot more cash than you ever wanted repairing the damage your inexperience and lack of knowledge (aka ignorance) caused. It's all about how you do it and the quality of the worksmanship you put into it.
I find it a little insulting when I hear drivers talk about how FI is just asking to blow a motor or wreck your car. Sure, if you drive like you've got a kilo of heroine in the backseat and the cops are after you all the time, that's going to happen! But for those of us who don't mash down the accelerator everytime the light turns green, FI is a very viable option for the VQ35! Not to mention with a boost controller the amount of power is in your hands and you can turn it off just as fast as go balls to the walls...all it takes is a little self-control!

In my own personal experience of being raced (I was in the passenger seat) by a very expensive-off-the-lot car (Z06) that felt like flexing on the street against a '94 Supra TT pushing 679rwhp/662rwtq and feeling my guts press against my spine ...I KNEW that FI was the most fun a man could have on the ground! After that I got a nice little FI for myself and it's a quick little bugger...I like quick! But as for the VQ...I'm building one from the ground up to give me the G-force adrenaline rush!

"You have a nice car! It's really fast!"

"It's the HID Headlights, they make me a level 6 racer and they add +50 horsepower!"

post #124 of 128 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
QUOTE (Wingman646 @ Feb 12 2009, 04:27 AM)
Quote:
But for those of us who don't mash down the accelerator everytime the light turns green, FI is a very viable option for the VQ35! Not to mention with a boost controller the amount of power is in your hands and you can turn it off just as fast as go balls to the walls...all it takes is a little self-control!
How can you resist? Last time I drove a FI Z, I was constantly having fun pushing that pedal hard! Seriously, I was autoxing the other weekend and was glad I had NA compared to FI. Not that FI is a bad thing at all. I just noticed that the FI cars never really got to use what they had; it was just a tease to hear it for a second or two.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
post #125 of 128 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Enthusiast Member

QUOTE (Jones @ Jun 9 2008, 10:30 PM)
Quote:
Now with the Greddy HR TT system the 125 to 175 power gain is that on a stcok block? With no replacement of the V-train?
other things need to be upgraded (fuel system, etc, etc) but yes, can be done on stock heads/cams/valvetrain

that ebign said, such comparisons really need to be properly qualified

a stock block turbonetics car, or a stock block vortech car, vs a built motor NA car - it's a drivers race. The reason? 1. gearing (the built NA guys all do shorter final drives) and rpm range. On my setup, I have ~1500-~1700 more rpm to play with than a stock block Vortech/T'netics kit, and my hp climbs till nearly the point at which I shift. That, coupled with the 100-150 lbs of weight you save on the FI setup alone, as well as shorter gears, becomes a very big equalizer

Bang for the buck wise - really impossible to say IMHO for the very simple reason that so many of the FI crowd are on their 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th motor, and their 2nd, sometimes 3rd FI iteration - there is no bang for the buck in these scenarios at all. Either route you choose, it's expensive to do it properly, and have it truly last
post #126 of 128 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
NA wins!

/thread

post #127 of 128 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 07:29 PM
Base Member

A cpl pennies from me...

For me it wasnt a question of NA or FI. It became a question of stock or Mod. If you build the engine correctly and strong NA then you will have the solid foundation for a safe FI engine. This is of course within reason. I'm not talking 600+ but in the 400-475rwhp. I spent money to build it, not to keep it natural, but because I knew that I would succumb to the dark side and boost the car. And the thrill of adding FI gave me a new car when I put it on. The power is far more linear and responsive then it was NA and she really wakes up when she hits 4k rpms. I smile just thinking about her. In fact, I'm going to take her out for a honk now and crush the dreams of a new Camaro SS driver who thinks he has 427whp.. jk. Well maybe....

Maybe the next poll should be NA or Mods, cause for me that was the real decision, but it was an easy one for me....

Boost is like air, you don't notice it till it's gone...
post #128 of 128 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
It's now a reality.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement