Most reliable aftermarket Limited-Slip Differential (can get more miles than sports) - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
#1 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Most reliable aftermarket Limited-Slip Differential (can get more miles than sports)

Hi all! This will be put on a 2012 370z base model

Which aftermarket Limited-Slip Differential unit has the potential to get more miles with daily normal driving(rare track weekends) than that which is installed with the sports package?

I was looking at the

1) Carbonetics (ATS)

ATS
List:
Found: $1299
Type: 1.5 way
Engagement: Carbon Clutch
Notes: Chrome molybdenium steel housing and gears

2) Cusco Type MZ

Cusco
List:
Found: $875
Type: 1.5 or 2 way
Engagement: clutch
Featuring high tension chrome molybdenum steel housing and gears the Cusco LSD is up for the task of serious competition. With large oil windows for increased flow and Cusco's original groove cut technology for improved efficiency on the clutch plates, stability and longevity is promoted. The 1.5-way Type MZ utilizes cone plates to develop the initial torque and features full engagement during acceleration and partially under deceleration.

3) Cusco Type RS

Cusco
List: $1182.60
Found: $1065
Engagement: Coil Springs
Low power loss means better lap times for even the mild tuned of cars. Chattering is kept low. Improved durability as clutch plates are low pressured. The LSD efficiency is higher with smoother oil flow between plates. According to CUSCO'S in house research, initial torque is 50 to 70% lower compared to the conventional cone plate type LSD enabling lower drive friction and better response.
Special precision springs, set in the pressure plate, assure steady coil movement. Clutch plates do not stick together like conventional cone plate type LSDs. Therefore less clutch plate wear or deterioration occurs.
The Type RS LSD had proved to be capable of competition use in the All Japan Gymkhana Championship without overhauling a single time during the season. With all drivers and teams finishing with good or championship results at the end of the season.

4) KAAZ

KAAZ
List: $995
Found: $845
Type: 2 way
Engagement: Clutch

5) Nismo

Nismo
List: $1045
Found: $939
Notes: 3 stage initial torque selective (60%/80%/100%) can be adjusted without disassembling the LSD
The Nismo GT LSD is a 1.5 way (upgradeable to 2 way) limited slip differential designed to provide maximum traction that is most often lost in hard off-the-line acceleration. The unit will sense when one wheel starts losing traction due to track/road conditions, hard cornering, and/or torque steer. Once it detects the slippage, it will compensate by shuffling the power from side to side to overcome the loss of traction. This translates into better track or quarter mile times, and more efficient use of the engines power. On the 350Z/G35 the rear LSD is adjustable in 60%, 80%, and 100% lockup mode. This LSD is VCD compatible (although you will have to turn VCD off to enjoy the full benefits). The Nismo GT LSD is a full install kit, including everything shown, and is perfect for the base model 350Z adding an LSD.
Clutch-Type Design with 10 clutches on each side
Constructed with four pinion gears for improved strength (stock LSD has two pinion gears)
3-stage initial torque selective adjustable without disassembly
Plate-type 1.5-way LSD can be converted to 2-way LSD
Compatible on all 350Z & G35 Manual Transmission (with or without stock LSD
Compatible on 350Z & G35 Automatic Transmission when upgraded Final Drive gear is used (3.5, 3.7, 3.9)
Benefits:
Designed as a multipurpose LSD for city driving
Increased power for track or autocross conditions
Included:
NISMO LSD
2 x Output Shafts
2 x Differential Side Oil Seals
2 x Differentail Side Bearings
Differential Bolts
Instructions
Differential Oil

6) OS Giken LSD.jpg

OS Geiken
OS Giken
List:
Found:
Engagement:

7) Tomei

Tomei
List: $990
Found: $839
Notes: For 350Z/G35 with factory Viscous LSD

8) Quaife

Quaife
Part Number: 44.309.181
List:1495
Found: $1313.99
Engagement:Gear
Notes: The Quaife differential is a drop in installation for the "open" diff base model 350Z or G35 6MT. If you have the factory Nissan VLSD, you will also need a set of stub axles from a base model open diff 350Z. Nissan P/N 382200 AR000 Axle Flange

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited by John20814; 04-13-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 02:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

-Ronin Z

"If you want me to treat your ideas with more respect, get some better ideas." -John Scalzi
Vi veri universum vivus vici

#3 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 05:40 AM
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via AIM to [cerberus]
I second the number 8 choice. Helps I also have one going on 4 years and have never had a problem.

Matt

Momentum Single Turbo 370whp & 360ftlbs
#4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 09:27 AM
Touring Member

Gear-type LSDs are more properly called torque biasing differentials (TBDs). Here is some information taken from one of the Porsche forums that I have found to be very reliable.

TBD Benefits:
1. Only applies lock under acceleration so it remains nearly invisible
2. Adds no understeer
3. Does not wear out or require any maintenance

TBD Drawbacks:
1. Will open up if a wheel is lifted
2. Does not provide lock under braking

LSD Benefits:
1. Applies lock even if a wheel lifts
2. Applies lock during braking
3. Applies more consistant lock regardless of acceleration

LSD Drawbacks:
1. Clutches wear, and add wear material to gear oil; more maintenance
2. More expensive than most TBDs
3. Can cause understeer in high traction conditions
4. Can cause oversteer in slipery conditions
5. Will cause more tire wear than TBD

A TBD works fine for street & autocross, typically in a car that has softer suspension that doesn't go fast enough to lift and spin tires. But once a drive wheel gets too light (as in a road racing car), the TBD will no longer transfer torque to the opposite, more heavily loaded tire, and the inside tire will spin. Planetary gears in a TBD will not tolerate this activity for very long.

Karl
2005 Enthusiast 6MT
#5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 09:09 PM
Base Member

Will a Quaife LSD for a 350z work on a 2012 370z base model?
#6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlh View Post
Gear-type LSDs are more properly called torque biasing differentials (TBDs). Here is some information taken from one of the Porsche forums that I have found to be very reliable.
On top of that, I'd also like to add

TBD Benefits:

* Behaves progressively as it is a gearset that is always engaged

LSD Drawbacks:

* Can behave in a non-linear fashion if the load is enough only to have the clutch plates barely reach the friction point

I've got a Tomei 2-way LSD in my car, and I'm not sure if its just the way its configured but if I'm on my favourite winding road it makes the rear of the car a little unpredictable. Where you're not turning in to a wide corner and firing out full throttle, but pitching the car in and then balancing it on part throttle, the LSD makes the rear of my car feel a bit loose. The feeling is exacerbated in the wet, but even in the dry under certain circumstances it feels like the rear is starting to break out when it probably isn't.

On a road racing course, though, the diff is brilliant and it is quite hard to get the car to break loose without deliberately provoking it. When I do intentionally make it slide, I can carry a lot more angle for a given entry speed than with the OEM VLSD, but I do find that the car loses velocity in comparison. Not an issue if you've got the balls to carry more entry speed and you don't need to worry about hitting anything you shouldn't, but it does require more commitment in order to get more out of it.

Assuming you're not living in a low-grip environment (I'm in Australia so we don't get snow anywhere except for a few small towns in a few mountains) I'd get a TBD for a primarily street car, and a LSD for a car that sees a significant amount of off-street racing time. As for your snow question you also posted, I've got no idea. :(

"I swear, officer, its all factory options!"

Understeer is when you hit the tree with the front wheel.
Oversteer is when you hit it with the back.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the tree...
Torque is how far you drag it...

Last edited by scathing; 04-21-2012 at 12:46 AM.
#7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 07:02 AM
Base Member

Im in the same situation (base model with open diff) and im looking for a LSD. I understand the benefits of the TBD but why would one not just buy the Nismo LSD and turn the locking to 100%?
#8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 07:58 AM
Touring Member

Here's another option that hasn't been mentioned. Wavetrac produces a Torsen-style differential that is the spec rear end for the NASA Spec Z series. Wavetrac's web site is here. Price is $1295, and in the States they can only be purchased through Nissan Motorsports (888-833-3225). According to the company's info, the unit is an improved Torsen unit that doesn't open up if the inside wheel is lifted. They also advertise a limited lifetime warranty.

Karl
2005 Enthusiast 6MT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement