User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
#1 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 05:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hi everyone,

What are the different applications for 1.5 way and 2 way LSD?

I've heard 1.5 way is "safer" and easier to use, and 2 way is for more aggressive driving and wide angle drifting...but if you are upgrading your LSD, why choose one over the other?

I want something I can learn to drift with, but still be safe on touge-type drives.

I don't mind learning on a more "difficult" (2 way) LSD, as long as I don't get hurt in the process.
Is 1.5 way really that much easier to drive with than 2 way? I

I really want to try 2 way and learn it, but Is 2 way safe for touge driving?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 05:53 AM
Grand Touring Member

Quote:
Broadly speaking, there are three input torque states - load, no load, & over run. Under load, as previously stated, the coupling is proportional to the input torque. With no load, the coupling is reduced to the static coupling. The behavior on over run (particularly sudden throttle release) determines whether the LSD is 1 way, 1.5 way, or 2 way.

If there is no additional coupling on over run, the LSD is 1 way. This is a safer LSD, as soon as the driver lifts the throttle, the LSD unlocks and behaves somewhat like a conventional open differential. This is also the best for FWD cars, as it allows the car to turn in on throttle release, instead of ploughing forward. [1]

If the LSD increases coupling in the same way regardless of whether the input torque is forwards or reverse, it is a 2 way differential. Some drifters prefer this type as the LSD behaves the same regardless of their erratic throttle input, and lets them keep the wheels spinning all the way through a corner. An inexperienced driver can easily spin the car when using a 2 way LSD if they lift the throttle suddenly, expecting the car to settle like a conventional open differential.

If the LSD behaves somewhere in between these two extremes, it is a 1.5 way differential, which is a compromise between sportiness and safety. Generally a 1.5 way creates a stronger lock under acceleration than deceleration.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential
Welcome to the site btw and I understand the NISMO can be set to three percentages and can be converted from 1.5 way to 2-way

"I'm Shiva the God of Death.", Michael Clayton.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 08:58 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential
Welcome to the site btw and I understand the NISMO can be set to three percentages and can be converted from 1.5 way to 2-way
Thanks Surfcity! LOL yeah I have read that paragraph like 1,000,000 times, and I am still trying to deduct whether I should start out with a 1.5 way and see if I want to go 2 way later on, or if I can learn without wrecking/dying with a 2 way. I did not know that about the Nismo one though. I've been looking at the Carbonetic one, Quaife, and Kaaz.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 09:52 PM
Grand Touring Member

I was focusing on this:
Quote:
1 way. This is a safer LSD, as soon as the driver lifts the throttle, the LSD unlocks and behaves somewhat like a conventional open differential.

If the LSD behaves somewhere in between these two extremes, it is a 1.5 way differential, which is a compromise between sportiness and safety

....2 way differential. Some drifters prefer this type as the LSD behaves the same regardless of their erratic throttle input, and lets them keep the wheels spinning all the way through a corner. An inexperienced driver can easily spin the car when using a 2 way LSD if they lift the throttle suddenly, expecting the car to settle like a conventional open differential.
It depends on your skill level and driving ability....If you can stay off the wall go with the 2

Yeah the NISMO is upgradeable from 1.5 to 2 and the lock up mode can be reset at 60% 80% or 100% without disassembling it.

#5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 10:40 PM
Ninja350Z

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
I was focusing on this:

It depends on your skill level and driving ability....If you can stay off the wall go with the 2

Yeah the NISMO is upgradeable from 1.5 to 2 and the lock up mode can be reset at 60% 80% or 100% without disassembling it.
Had expierence with that have ya?

#6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 10:58 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quote:
Had expierence with that have ya?
huh? No I don't try and break the back end loose.

#7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 11:07 PM
Ninja350Z

Quote:
huh? No I don't try and break the back end loose.
I mean driving with a LSD ...........which one are you running?

#8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 11:21 PM
Grand Touring Member

the viscous ;)

#9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Ninja350Z

Quote:
the viscous ;)
oh so you are running the stock LSD? you were talking about staying off the wall and going with the 2 way instead of 1.5 so i figured if you were giving someone advice on what to spend their hard earned money on you surely had expierence with it. Ah well no biggie

#10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 11:38 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quote:
oh so you are running the stock LSD? you were talking about staying off the wall and going with the 2 way instead of 1.5 so i figured if you were giving someone advice on what to spend their hard earned money on you surely had expierence with it. Ah well no biggie
I was passing along information that hopefully addressed the OP's question. I'm certain he wasn't asking for feedback solely from "drifters" otherwise you would be his only responses. Folk who know the ins and outs of LSDs have thankfully made threads, and wikis, etc. If the OP was unable to find them, and I knew of them, I'll pass them along. He wants to know if he will not hit a wall with a 2. So only folk with 2s who have either hit a wall or not should respond? I get it...So I won't be seeing your posts in any thread about how to get your significant other to finish....and it is freaking "EXPERIENCE"! Christ stop following me around.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement