Issues with HKS Coilovers Failure Hypermax GT IV Setup - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Issues with HKS Coilovers Failure Hypermax GT IV Setup

I purchased my car in April of last year with brand new HKS Hypermax GT IV coilovers on it, and they were clean as a whistle. I had put maybe 2,500 miles on the car since that time, with about 4 autox days and 2-3 HPDE sessions, and then had a failure during a normal street drive about 2 months ago. (see pics below).

I understand that I am not the original owner/purchaser, but HKS would not do anything for me, nor could they explain why this happened. It appears to be some kind of defect, I’d think, but unknown as to why this happened. My car was not “slammed”, but was lowered slightly below stock ride height. HKS has commented that the dampening levels should not matter or impact the life of the setup.

To make it worse, they could only order pairs in a set (Front or Rear), but had none in stock in the US, only full setups. To make things worse, this occurred just a few days before the first HPDE of 2016, so I was under the gun on time and ended up having to order a full new set. I went ahead and replaced the rears, then thinking I would have backup replacements for the other 3 corners now as well.

Has anyone else had something like this happen on such relatively new coilovers, for any brand for that matter? I am just extremely disappointed in the amount I needed to spend and HKS’ lack of understanding or initiative to really help in any way, shape, or form. No offer of partial reimbursement or a credit, nothing, zip. For a brand who has been around so long and seems to most, to have a strong reputation, I found it very frustrating. In the end, is this going to happen again? Is this “normal” by any means, and does anyone have any experience with a failure like this?

Pics:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 12:51 PM
Touring Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Never been a HKS owner, so I won't comment on the quality of their suspension components. In my experience, I've never seen this happen on Konis, Bilsteins or other suspension components on any of the race or street cars I've owned, but I will say most companies would have the same response that HKS had. After all, you didn't purchase this kit directly, or have any direct knowledge of how they were installed. Beyond that, the Z could have been severely abused before you bought the car which would have voided any warranty.

Now if anything happens AGAIN, you might have a case to file with the company. But let's hope that doesn't happen anytime soon.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmura View Post
Never been a HKS owner, so I won't comment on the quality of their suspension components. In my experience, I've never seen this happen on Konis, Bilsteins or other suspension components on any of the race or street cars I've owned, but I will say most companies would have the same response that HKS had. After all, you didn't purchase this kit directly, or have any direct knowledge of how they were installed. Beyond that, the Z could have been severely abused before you bought the car which would have voided any warranty.

Now if anything happens AGAIN, you might have a case to file with the company. But let's hope that doesn't happen anytime soon.
I completely agree on the not being the original owner part and admitted to the same in my post.

The set was "used", but was just put on the car and was the cleanest suspension setup on a car i've ever seen. It was spotless and had just been purchased.. we are not talking about thousands of miles or years of usage. The car was owned by a very big and well known local shop who installed them for the owner to use as a track car, yet he never really got a chance to use it. They claimed only 200 miles on the setup when I purchased the car April, 2015.

So, that all said, it was very odd to have this happen on what was essentially a 1 year old set with minimal miles of usage, that is my first point.

2nd point - odd they don't stock any sets or single items for the setup, so I was essentially forced to buy a full new set. Even the HKS US support advised the pairs (sold only in front or rear, no singles) were quite expensive and better off to buy a full set. So, support /stock was a frustration as well.

Again, I know I wasn't the original owner, but such an odd failure on such a new set, it was very disappointing that nothing could be done at all - not a credit, not a discount, nothing. I was basically forced to buy a full new set of coilovers and have no clue if this could or would happen again, or if it was just a freak accident, and now have to drive the car with this in the back of my mind, which is why I came back to the JDM world after a stint in the euro/german car world again.

While HKS support was kind and courteous to deal with, I was just hoping for something in the way of working with me to some extent at all.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 05:53 PM
Touring Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
I hear you. If it was me, I'd have thanked HKS for their courtesy and then gone on to purchase a set of Konis or other well-known brands. With no discount offered, why did you elect to go back to them?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmura View Post
I hear you. If it was me, I'd have thanked HKS for their courtesy and then gone on to purchase a set of Konis or other well-known brands. With no discount offered, why did you elect to go back to them?
Yeah, I had thought about it, but with the good ride quality and the fact that I'd then have spares for everything, I figured it was the best route for the long term. I've had a few cars with coilovers and I've blown a strut on a set of KW's within like a year, so I figured by buying the whole setup, I'd then have spares going forward. But.. and a big "but", is now I just have to hope the same exact thing doesn't happen again - well, to the same rear side, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement