d_B
Base Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to d_B
(Thread Starter)
Question slammed z drivablity

hey guys im looking to slam my z, and i have been noticing more and more z's with extremely low front ends, the tires are almost tucked (thus the look i am trying to achieve) how is this possible, what parts would you need having the stock camber as well

^ like that minus the insane camber the car is currently my DD/ weekend drifter

Cheers
dB

lets get low lets get fast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 08:17 PM
Base Member

you need to save about $4k

coilovers -$1,500
camber kits f/r - $800
rims/tires - $1,700

more depending how old your car is

like bushing and mounts that might need to be replaced
#3 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Keep in mind that ultra-slammed Z's handle like shit. That aside, you can't lower the rear very far without dialing in some pretty aggressive camber. Unless you want to have some custom fender flares made. Also, you're going to have serious trouble getting the rear toe back in spec when you go super low. Rear toe correction kits are pretty much geared toward correcting more normal drops and don't have the range of adjustablity to correct for frame dragging drops.

-Ronin Z

"If you want me to treat your ideas with more respect, get some better ideas." -John Scalzi
Vi veri universum vivus vici

#4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 02:03 PM
Grand Touring Member

I guess I'm lucky - although there has been some heart ache with my build but I think I'm as tucked as I can go...I have the Eibach sport line springs that dropped me about 2". When I did the drop I had 19" in the rear 18" - which had a sweet look too it but not that practical for driving...I scraped on everything. I recently went with 20" all around and I have clearance to turn and I had to rework a SC duct but it fits.

The coil overs would be a good idea to get your ride height exactly where you want it.

I didnt do anything on my front end to correct the camber - with the suspension the way it is - its was almost self correcting, I really don't notice a different in the front but you can def. notice the difference in the back w/o a camber/toe adjust kit. Def get one of those if/when you drop yours.

IMO, and not to say the handling is scarificed - but I don't notice any difference in the handling (after I got the camber/toe adjusters and it dialed in)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Z1.JPG
Views:	4757
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	45582   Click image for larger version

Name:	z2.jpg
Views:	1865
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	45583  

'03 Z33
'71 S30
'04 Triton 5.4
#5 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 09:28 PM

^^^

But your car is nowhere near as low as the one the OP posted.

"If you want me to treat your ideas with more respect, get some better ideas." -John Scalzi
Vi veri universum vivus vici

#6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 10:10 PM
d_B
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3point5 View Post
I guess I'm lucky - although there has been some heart ache with my build but I think I'm as tucked as I can go...I have the Eibach sport line springs that dropped me about 2". When I did the drop I had 19" in the rear 18" - which had a sweet look too it but not that practical for driving...I scraped on everything. I recently went with 20" all around and I have clearance to turn and I had to rework a SC duct but it fits.

The coil overs would be a good idea to get your ride height exactly where you want it.

I didnt do anything on my front end to correct the camber - with the suspension the way it is - its was almost self correcting, I really don't notice a different in the front but you can def. notice the difference in the back w/o a camber/toe adjust kit. Def get one of those if/when you drop yours.

IMO, and not to say the handling is sacrificed - but I don't notice any difference in the handling (after I got the camber/toe adjusters and it dialed in)
holy wow, thats almost the exact look that i am looking for. i heard k-sport coils were decent. +1 +1
the picture was a bit deceiving thats negative on my part. do you have any rubbing issues when turning suddenly at high speeds?

Last edited by d_B; 11-21-2010 at 10:12 PM. Reason: looked at the post dont realizing one of my questions were already answered
#7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Grand Touring Member

I can tell you the 'drivability' of the car in the original pic will be close to ZERO. My car is low, but damn. ...keep it around what 3.5 posted, even that can be a headache for big speed bumps. Also, you may (definitely for anything like the original pic) need to roll the rear fenders.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...45811_8128.jpg
Daily Driver (65k miles): APS Intercooled TT, Built Motor, Arias, Eagle, HKS, UTEC, Deutschworks, Wilwood BBK, MB Weapons, Nito NT 555RII, ACT clutch, Fidanza flywheel, KW Variant 3 coilovers, Hotchkis sways, Cusco control arms, Authentic JDM Spec Nismo V2 body kit, Z Speed, Quiafe, HID, AIT R1 Hood, HKS EVC, HKS Hi Flow, custom 3" TD exhaust, APS 3.5" down pipes, GReddy, Defi, AEM
#8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Grand Touring Member

You WILL need to roll your rear fenders. You will need coilovers, rear toe bolts, rear camber arms, front upper camber arms, and of course some aggressive wheels and tires. That will be significantly more than $4K. The wheels and tires in the OP pic are $4K alone.

When you go that low, you will tear ever stock bushing on all of the control arms which means you will need to buy SPL (or similar) bushings and have them installed. Add on another $1000 or 1500 for that.

And you WILL negatively affect the handling. You are MASSIVELY affecting the geometry of the control arms (angle mostly). You can make the car very unpredictable. I would NOT push a car that's that low. You truly need to live by the "low and slow" motto.

Of course, it's obvious that you will scrape on everything. One thing that helps that A LOT is high flow cats or test pipes. The secondary catalyst section in the stock cats is the lowest point to the car and it's often them that scrape.

Another option, since you clearly don't car about performance is airbags. A friend of mine has them on his Z and he can monster truck it Subaru Forester style or set his V2 bumper on the ground.

'03 Enthusiast-UpRev-Nismo-VOLK-Stillen-Motordyne-INGS+1-Lightwerkz-Brembo-StopTech-Injen-K&N
275WHP/245WTQ
#9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 02:53 PM
Base Member

my car sits about 1.5" off the ground, get ready for some serious tire wear without camber correction kits as mentioned by jdrm350. Also, if you have any kind of a body kit or lower side skirts, make sure you have a good body man on hand to repair the fiberglass on a regular basis.

?

2003 350z Track edition
Fully built single turbo
500whp
Pensacola, Fl

Last edited by Jdawgztrboz; 11-22-2010 at 02:56 PM.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 02:18 AM
d_B
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgztrboz View Post
my car sits about 1.5" off the ground, get ready for some serious tire wear without camber correction kits as mentioned by jdrm350. Also, if you have any kind of a body kit or lower side skirts, make sure you have a good body man on hand to repair the fiberglass on a regular basis.

?
the car looks amazing, one question though? how much correcting can you do with front camber as far as pillowballs?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement