SPC Camber Kits Front & Rear...Installed & Aligned - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
#1 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 05:38 AM
Grand Touring Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Greetings!

I just received yesterday my SPC Upper Front Control Arms and Rears from TH Motorsports, see under vendors on this forum (thanks Eddie)
The Upper Front Control Arm kit came with shims for behind the bearing hub and a bracket for ABS sensor.

Are theses for recessing the wheel outward from the hub, and intended for increasing negative camber?

Can anyone confirm this?

Do I need to install these, if my goal is to add positive camber to bring it back within the manufacture' range?

Camber alignment readings after suspension upgrade:

2005 model:
Front -1.4
Rear -1.9

2006 model:
Front -1.7
Rear -2.1

I attached pics of the kit and the installation instruction sheet. Along with the reading(s) from the alignment using a Hunter alignment rack.

I have been reading posts (struts, springs, tires, sways, and recently plenum spacer) for over a year now and decided it was time to post a question,
after many hours searching the forum. Also I finally got up the nerve to post! Appears a couple of other forums are really brutal.
Therefore I choose 350Z-Tech to make my first post.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Curtis

Car info:

2005 Silverstone 6MT Touring
Wheels: Nissan 18 x8 5 spoke lightweight aluminum nickel- chrome plated
Tire size: BFG KDW2 225/45 ZR18 Front, 245/45 ZR18 Rear
Nismo Exhaust
Nismo Cold Air Intake
Nismo Titanium GT shifter
3M Clear Bra
Billet Grill
Koni Yellow Struts
H&R Sport Springs 1.3" drop Front, 1.0" drop Rear

2006 Interlago Fire 6MT Touring
Same setup as the 2005 model

[attachment=20144:DSC01573.JPG] [attachment=20180:SPC_Camb..._0011_d_.jpg] [attachment=20146:Align_CL...506_0001.jpg] [attachment=20147:Align_HA...506_0006.jpg]
[attachment=20148:DSC01587.JPG] [attachment=20149:DSC01600.JPG] [attachment=20150:DSC01699.JPG] [attachment=20151:DSC01719.JPG] [attachment=20152:DSC01421.JPG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01573.JPG
Views:	607
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	39289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Align_CL_111506_0001.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	39290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Align_HA_111506_0006.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	39291   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01587.JPG
Views:	470
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	39292   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01600.JPG
Views:	413
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	39293  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01699.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	39294   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01719.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	39295   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01421.JPG
Views:	535
Size:	320.3 KB
ID:	39296   Click image for larger version

Name:	SPC_Camber_Fr_Instr_0011_d_.jpg
Views:	1809
Size:	514.4 KB
ID:	39311  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 06:37 PM
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
Hey Guys,

Any advice would be appreciated? Has anyone got these installed? I searched the forum under SPC and several folks have the rears: martz, Ronin Z, Enjuku Ray, Ninja350Z, SmoothZ?, westpak, K Shep, JTS2005 ?, Domino, scathing?,

Vendors feel free to join in. (bigz88, illz33, Intensepower, buzzmountain)

I have read several posts by all of the above and respect your opinions and advice. I almost went with Toykilla' mod on the Cusco although opted to go with SPC due to more positive camber they offer over the +1.0 (after Josh's mod) Cusco. Toykilla any advise on these shims?

Again thanks in advance!
#3 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Enthusiast Member

I read on one of the forums that the shims are only needed on severly slammd cars. I'd try to get your car aligned without using them, and see if you can get to the specs you want. That said, it's only 4 bolts per side to install the shims, not too hard to install.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 07:34 PM
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
By installing them, do they move the wheel outward from the wheel well? If so, then maybe a consideration for a wider looking wheel even if it's only 1/4"- 1/2". Unless these shims(spacers) will add stress to the wheel bolts which could be harmful? Dont know. Or could they be used to clear the metal flange that Toykilla had to bend on the Cusco mod?
#5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 02:21 AM
Super Moderator

A member by the SN of Renovatio should chime in when he's able. His Z is pretty slammed and is going even lower. He should know the answer to those questions, I hope.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
#6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 02:35 AM
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
I finally got around to posting an update after installing the front upper arm kit and rear camber kit. After three technicians looked at the shims we opted not to install them.

Their product is well manufactured, a selling point for me is the amount of positive camber (for saving tire wear) they proclaim which they do live up to their specs. The rubber bushings on the upper control arms (same type as Nissan) for comfort, and that the dust cover for the ball joint covers the entire area (not like Kinetix).

The upper control installed nicely with a snug fit, well manufactured. We new up front that a metal flange on the underside wheel well would need to banged back for clearance of the outer arm where the ball joint is located. We also shaved about 1/8”of plastic (see pic) it’s all underneath and cannot be seen, shit I can hardly see it from the pic.

The rear camber kit took the longest, allot of time spent hogging out the toe slots on the frame. In the end we did not need to even install the toe bolts as the range to bring the toe back into spec again to save the tire wear, not for track setup. If so then I may want the toe bolt installed, but for getting the car back into spec we had enough with the original toe bolt, therefore only one of the two cars had the toe bolt installed. Camber arm is sweet and a fast install, which was needed with the rear spring at a 1.0” drop.

The results were amazing once dialed in on the alignment rack. The fronts we were able to go from a -1.4 on the Silverstone and -1.7 on the Interlagos Fire (IF) to -0.3 on both cars. Wow! We settled on close to nominal setting of -0.6 for both cars (save them tires). Our only problem was bringing the caster into range, we started out with arm set to dead zero, and by adjusting the caster on the arm would give up camber. So we set it on dead zero and achieved the -.06 camber. We are going back to the rack and adjust the caster on the arm and hopefully at least get the caster in the high range of at least 7.4. with a camber of -.08. It’s about all we ask can for.

As far as the ride, I could tell right away that the car felt like the tires were planted more firmly. Braking in a dead straight line, the car did not pull at all, braking in corners was solid. Cornering, well let’s just say that I feel more confident taking corners a bit faster. Overall I am very pleased with my current suspension setup. Next mod, SWAYS, hopefully I will not give up that comfort with the sways (at least not allot). My choice would be Hotchkis.

Original Upper Control Arm with Koni Shocks and H&R Springs

The instructions called for using the original ball joint stud seat (the shiney black piece)

SPC rubber bushings, comfort, comfort, no noise.

This is where we needed to make clearence for the control arm, banged a flange and cut out a small piece of plastic.

Installed product.

#7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 02:36 AM
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
The Alignment

Camber is being set (in green) on Interlagos Fire (IF)

IF Rear readings

IF Final readings

Silverstone Final rear readings

Silverstone Caster readings

Silverstone printout

IF printout

-0.5 camber, very nice!
#8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 01:09 AM
darklocust

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Cool, I notice that you're from Sacramento =D

Did they install the springs and arms too or just the arms?

#9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 07:02 PM
Base Member

Was it your Silverstone that had the spc arms installed? If so your caster can be corrected, it looks like the ball joint was set to -1.5deg caster on your left side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement