Interior Scratches - Nissan 350Z Forum : 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-17-2006, 02:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Base Member

Hey guys, lemme start out by saying that these forums have been a wealth of knowledge for me and my 350z. I've been reading them for awhile now and just haven't had anything to post about until now. Having said that, I need to tap some of that knowledge.

Problem: Scratches in the interior hatch and rear speaker area in the plastic. During the installation of my amplifier, I accidently let it slip out of my hand and it put some nasty scratches in that soft plastic that is the Z interior.

I was wondering if anyone has found a product that could fix these scratches? Something that'd fill them up or something, I dunno. All I know is I hate seeing them. I've considered ripping out all of the plastic and getting it painted, but that'd be quite a hassle and I'm not sure how it'd turn out.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.
$crill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2006, 05:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to shezzzhot

I'd like to know this too. I have some on that rear strut tower and the doors.
shezzzhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to toykilla Send a message via Yahoo to toykilla

It depends on how deep they are. I have had success using a "torch" type lighter to lightly melt out scratches.

toykilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 02:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Base Member

Quote:
It depends on how deep they are. I have had success using a "torch" type lighter to lightly melt out scratches.
Hmm... I guess that might be worth a try. I guess I was sort of hoping there was some sort of spray or something I could buy that would fill em up. Thanks for the idea.

Ever heard or seen anyone paint all of that plastic?
$crill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via AIM to harshfury

Quote:
I posted about this same problem...after removing and re-installing my seats. Toykilla had the same suggestion...but I haven't grown the balls or reached the level of desperation yet to actually try it. Mine are pretty deep. Almost like gauges. I think the plastic scratches very very easily. I was hoping some sort of light sanding and spray might do the trick...so if anyone else has some input for us non pyro wusses...I'd appreciate it.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Base Member

Send a message via AIM to titans_arrow

Quote:
I posted about this same problem...after removing and re-installing my seats. Toykilla had the same suggestion...but I haven't grown the balls or reached the level of desperation yet to actually try it. Mine are pretty deep. Almost like gauges. I think the plastic scratches very very easily. I was hoping some sort of light sanding and spray might do the trick...so if anyone else has some input for us non pyro wusses...I'd appreciate it.

http://www.parasolinc.com/Products.a...ctID=ALSIPLAST

Try this out. I haven't used it, but if you can sand it, i would imagine it's like bondo for plastic......therefore you can't screw it up- just fill, sand and paint.

hope it helps.

PS- i've used similar and it works like a dream.

Also, does anybody know of a way to fix scratches on leather? i'm not sure how, but i got some scrape-like scratches on the left side (right next to the door) like something got caught on it on the way out the door.
titans_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via AIM to serx93 Send a message via Yahoo to serx93

Quote:
Hmm... I guess that might be worth a try. I guess I was sort of hoping there was some sort of spray or something I could buy that would fill em up. Thanks for the idea.

Ever heard or seen anyone paint all of that plastic?
Be careful using a lighter or heatgun, you could destroy the grain of the plastic if you get it too hot. You could also leave a bright shiny spot....but that can be toned down with a spray we use call "perfix". It is a dulling spray and it works great. If you decide to go ahead and use the lighter method get yourself a plastic stick with a smooth end on it to lightly rub on the scratch while it is hot to try and rub it out. If you are ging to do this try to find a piece of scrap to practice on....I have been doing this for 3 years and still dont have it down perfect yet.

You could try to find a crayon that is the same color as your panels and use that to help cover the scratch. Or if you have black panels you can take a permanent marker and rub it on your finger, then rub your finger across the the scratch. Doing this instead of just rubbing the marker across the scratch helps to spread out the ink and blend it in. Start lightly and then add more if needed. Hope this helps.
Advertisement