LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Porsche Boxster or Nissan 350z?

In about a month or so I'll probably be buying a Boxster or a 350z for about $16000. I was just wondering what car in your opinions looks better, feels better, etc. I don't really care about the speed of either because I live in the city and this would mainly be a commuter car. I'm a 17 year old boy whose still in high school, so which of these cars in your opinion has more of the "cool" factor. Would both of the cars insurance rates be about the same? Thanks!

MB SD Connect C4

Last edited by guoqing; 04-17-2016 at 07:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 09:33 AM
Performance Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Think this repetitive poster needs to stop the "comparison" questions.

??Is this some type of ploy to start conversations on this rather non-active
forum?

Pretty lame.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 09:33 AM
Touring Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I would buy the Boxter. However, I don't have a clue which has more of a coolness factor or the price of insurance for either. I think the Boxter would probably retain resale value for a longer time assuming you take care of it.

Not everyone who lost his life in Vietnam died there. Not everyone who came home from Vietnam ever left there.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As the previous owner of a 2002 Boxster S and current owner of a 2008 350Z let me share some of my thoughts...

-the Porsche is the more prestige marque, you will get more nods and 'nice car' remarks from others than with the 350Z, however contrary to car ads, neither will get you laid
-the Porsche has better stock brakes (base or S) than the 350Z, however you will only notice the difference if you are really pushing the brakes such as on a track
-Boxsters in the years you are likely looking at (1997 - 2004) have a significant engine issue with the IMS bearing. Boxsters with this fixed are more $$$ and those without have a 20% chance of total engine failure. You can research this nearly endlessly on the Internet

The reasons I switched

I started doing HPDE days with the Porsche Club of America (PCA) and got totally hooked. As I get better as a driver over the coming years the 350Z has more growth potential. The Boxsters really lack much in the way of available modifications for horsepower and even the S models are slow (relative words of course) compared to most other cars on the track.

Other considerations for me were:

-350Z much cheaper for parts (no infamous Porsche tax)
-more modern interior (the 350Z isn't great but the pre 2005 Boxsters are worse)
-hardtop instead of convertible - more options for tracks and clubs, however my girlfriend greatly preferred the convertible
-front engine allows more DIY work vs. Boxster mid-engine which is basically inaccessible
-cheaper for the performance you get, there is no question that even used Boxsters carry a Porsche tax

In my case, my 2008 350Z also has much nicer front lights (Bi-Xenon), the Porsche's of those years typically have what are referred to as the 'droopy egg halogens'. The Porsche's lights can be upgraded but it gets expensive.

Porsche's are pretty much driven stock but 350Z's have a huge aftermarket.

You will obviously have different priorities. Good luck with your decision.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 05:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottacat View Post
As the previous owner of a 2002 Boxster S and current owner of a 2008 350Z let me share some of my thoughts...

-the Porsche is the more prestige marque, you will get more nods and 'nice car' remarks from others than with the 350Z, however contrary to car ads, neither will get you laid
-the Porsche has better stock brakes (base or S) than the 350Z, however you will only notice the difference if you are really pushing the brakes such as on a track
-Boxsters in the years you are likely looking at (1997 - 2004) have a significant engine issue with the IMS bearing. Boxsters with this fixed are more $$$ and those without have a 20% chance of total engine failure. You can research this nearly endlessly on the Internet

The reasons I switched

I started doing HPDE days with the Porsche Club of America (PCA) and got totally hooked. As I get better as a driver over the coming years the 350Z has more growth potential. The Boxsters really lack much in the way of available modifications for horsepower and even the S models are slow (relative words of course) compared to most other cars on the track.

Other considerations for me were:

-350Z much cheaper for parts (no infamous Porsche tax)
-more modern interior (the 350Z isn't great but the pre 2005 Boxsters are worse)
-hardtop instead of convertible - more options for tracks and clubs, however my girlfriend greatly preferred the convertible
-front engine allows more DIY work vs. Boxster mid-engine which is basically inaccessible
-cheaper for the performance you get, there is no question that even used Boxsters carry a Porsche tax

In my case, my 2008 350Z also has much nicer front lights (Bi-Xenon), the Porsche's of those years typically have what are referred to as the 'droopy egg halogens'. The Porsche's lights can be upgraded but it gets expensive.

Porsche's are pretty much driven stock but 350Z's have a huge aftermarket.

You will obviously have different priorities. Good luck with your decision.

pretty much sums it up.

2013 370Z w/Sport Package, Midnight Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread