Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner

Repainting My Z - Need Advice!

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mikevolpe 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 Z in Liquid Aluminum, but thanks to the previous owner the paint is in terrible condition (flaking, peeling, stained, worn clear coat, etc.). I have a V2 bumper on the way, and I'd like to repaint the entire car, but I'm looking into doing it myself. My brother has all the equipment I need, so I just need to order the paint. I want to get it close to the factory Nogaro Red color (paint code is A41), but because it's a tri-coat, it's a bit harder.

From what I've seen, Nogaro Red starts as a layer of white primer/sealer, then the red basecoat, then the transparent red midcoat, then clear coat.

I was originally planning on doing a standard gray 2K primer, then a bright red basecoat (Tractor Red from TCP Global's Restoration Shop), then clear coat. However, after seeing the process for the Nogaro Red tri-coat, I'm thinking it might be better to do the white primer to get that brighter red finish, but I'm not sure if I would need to choose a darker shade of red to compensate for the white primer so it doesn't turn out too bright/pinkish. Also, from what I've seen, the midcoat can be a risky job to get right, so I'm wondering how necessary it would be. I know I won't be able to get an exact match, I essentially want a similar bright red finish to Nogaro Red or even Ford's Race Red. Would it be possible to get a similar shade/finish by just doing the white primer, red basecoat, and clear coat (so no midcoat)? How much darker would I need to go to compensate for the white primer?

TL;DR:
-What's the best/cheapest way to get similar paint color/finish to Nogaro Red/Ford's Race Red? gray primer > Tractor Red basecoat > clear coat OR white primer > darker red basecoat (ex: Candy Apple Red?) > clear coat OR something else?
-Is the midcoat necessary to get the right finish? If so, can I make the transparent midcoat by mixing the red basecoat with a reducer?

See less See more
#2 ·
You are attempting to change the color of your Z on your first paint job? Not a good idea, particularly with a metallic red color coat. What will you do with the engine bay and hatch? Even though you are using your brother's painting equipment, this isn't a good plan for a novice painter. Why not use the time to learn how to do a good prep (always the key to a successful paint job) and reapply the liquid silver color?

#3 ·
I'm planning on leaving the engine bay and hatch silver for now; that paint isn't in very bad condition because it hasn't been quite as exposed to the elements. I'm personally not a huge fan of the current color, mainly because silver is so common. I'd rather spend the time and money on the red paint job than spending almost as much to reapply the current color and paying more for the red later. I have other friends with painting/detailing experience so I have the resources to get the job done properly, I'm just unsure about the best colors/shades to go with for the right result.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.