Strange Issue - Seeking Suggestions - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By dkmura

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Strange Issue - Seeking Suggestions

I have 2004 350z with 168,000 miles. A few weeks ago, the car was making a loud noise (like it was going to blow up) as I pulled into my parking space. I shut off the car and grabbed my OBDII reader. I started the car and the noise was gone...no codes. A couple weeks later it made the noise again (very loud, car shakes, etc), I shifted into neutral and rev'd the engine to 4,000+ rpm and put it into gear and it was gone.
Today on the interstate, it happened again. Car felt like it had a flat tire, shaking and rumbling, and again the loud noise. I shifted it into neutral and the shaking/rumbling feeling was gone (but the noise was still present). I put it back into gear, the loud noise and shaking (like a flat tire from the left rear). I put it into neutral and rev'd it over 4,000 rpm a couple times and it was OK when I put it back into gear. I drive over 20-60 miles a day and some days I don't have it, but when it does happen it goes away after revving the engine...driving OK after doing that.
I have no idea how to troubleshoot this and I'm looking for suggestions. The car doesn't have any codes, doesn't lose power, etc. The idle has been a little rough. By rough, I mean the RPMs aren't consist at idle (like it'll bounce between 700-730rpm for example, but will be consist at 800rpm when the A/C is on). I replaced the MAF sensor, cleaned the throttle body, replaced air filter, and reset the ECU. I don't think it's losing spark/power because the gauges/volts/etc are OK during the issue. My guess is it could be fuel, but it's happened over three or four tanks of gas from different companies (Exxon, Shell, etc). It only started to happen ONE day after I put seafoam in the tank. It never happened before that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 01:20 PM
Base Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
You could start by checking nothing is loose in the drive line - prop shaft to diff, axle shafts from diff to wheels, rear wheel bearings, rear CV joints
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
It happened again this morning and finally came with a code...P0300.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 11:50 AM
Base Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well the P0300 is a random misfire and the cause could be a myriad of things; faulty spark plugs, faulty coils, clogged or faulty fuel injector/s, intake air leak, short in the injector harness, short in coils harness, incorrect fuel pressure and insufficient cylinder compression. Any of these would cause a loss of power or lack of power, engine hesitation and the engine being hard to start. I hope this helps, and isn't too depressing.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Nissan said they could only get it to do it once and felt it was cylinder 6 (they were not sure what regarding that cylinder was causing it). I replaced all the ignition coils and plugs and I have drove it for about 30 miles and it hasn't happened again (knock on wood). I had a fair amount of oil all over the spark plug and ignition coil on cylinder 6. The inconsistent idle is still present.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 06:24 PM
Touring Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
The mileage of your Z is getting up there (168K) and there's sure to be some natural degradation of parts. But even if it was a random misfire, it's hard to believe your VQ was about to "blow up". The amount of oil on the #6 plug and coil may indicate you need a new valve cover gasket.
MartinZ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement