Silly to replace clutch before selling? - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Base Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Silly to replace clutch before selling?

I'm getting ready to sell my car (2006 350z), but my clutch is slipping pretty badly now and while I've been told not to put money into a car if I'm selling it, it feels weird to have such a terrible clutch situation.

Thoughts? Who knows, maybe someone would want to throw a racing clutch in, something like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 10:57 AM
Performance Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
IMO,unless you lower the price drastically,you will have a hard time selling your Z with a bad clutch.
Keep in mind,,the market has changed for the Z. A majority of current buyers are not as "hands on".
Not many DIY'rs as before.
I'd get the clutch replaced as cheap as possible.

But,who knows,you may put out some trial ads to sell at as is ,needs clutch for a low price.
See what happens.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 05:43 PM
Touring Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I agree, trying to sell a Z with a badly slipping clutch just means a lost sale. Nobody will want to buy it. DON'T go with a racing clutch- they're expensive and tricky to use in certain cases. Do go to your local Nissan dealer and ask if they have a Key Value clutch kit, which combines several parts into one discounted package and hope your flywheel surface isn't too torn up.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmura View Post
I agree, trying to sell a Z with a badly slipping clutch just means a lost sale. Nobody will want to buy it. DON'T go with a racing clutch- they're expensive and tricky to use in certain cases. Do go to your local Nissan dealer and ask if they have a Key Value clutch kit, which combines several parts into one discounted package and hope your flywheel surface isn't too torn up.
That's interesting... never heard of a key value clutch kit. I found one on eBay, is it made by Nissan??

And if I do need a flywheel, is there a key value flywheel? (I'll have to ask my local shop about condition of my current one when they go to install the clutch.)

Thanks!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 11:07 PM
Touring Member

Key Value kits are marketed by Nissan and consist of parts used in most rebuild jobs. They offer a better value than individual parts bought separately. There's no Key Value flywheels to my knowledge, but unless yours is in terrible shape (badly overheated or scored), it should be cleaned and reused.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Gotcha. I was under the impression that 350z flywheels can't be resurfaced because they are dual mass.. Is that a different thing?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 07:39 PM
Touring Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingobiatch View Post
Gotcha. I was under the impression that 350z flywheels can't be resurfaced because they are dual mass.. Is that a different thing?
Z33 dual mass flywheels cannot be resurfaced, but inspecting the surface and cleaning it might be viable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement