LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
350z Cruise Control

Hi there all, just decided to join up here after seeing some really good info lurking in the threads.

The 350z I have just purchased had a oem wheel fitted to it so it would pass import inspections and have working airbags. It is a wheel with the cruise controls on the right, but no radio controls on the left.

I knew it didn't have cruise working when it came in, but it doesn't seem like the hardest task to get working. Add the wheel controls, add the clutch and brake switches, and then program the software to enable cruise. I'm not worried about having no led lights for it or anything.

The issue I'm wondering about is that my car was worked on by Esprit in Japan, and all I can see are people saying to reflash with Uprev to enable the couple of "switches" for the cruise function.
From what I can tell, that would wipe out the Esprit work, which is annoying because it seems pretty damn good, putting out 339hp.
Is there any way to get in and turn on cruise functions while preserving what is there?

Pic of the car attached, dealer photo hah
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4461.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	50594  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 11:24 AM
Touring Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Clean looking Z, but your lack of CC is likely due to the reflash by Esprit. To my knowledge, there's no definitive solution unless you reflash the ECM, but I'd also check make sure your particular model Z came equipped with CC to start with. The wheel speed sensors are the least of your concerns- the main wire harness is.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmura View Post
Clean looking Z, but your lack of CC is likely due to the reflash by Esprit. To my knowledge, there's no definitive solution unless you reflash the ECM, but I'd also check make sure your particular model Z came equipped with CC to start with. The wheel speed sensors are the least of your concerns- the main wire harness is.
Yeah, and I'm beginning to wonder what version of the JDM cars actually had cruise. From my searching so far, it seems they didn't. This is a version S fairlady, so no Bose or leather but VDC, brembos, 18 inch standard wheels, etc.
I've been using the retrofit threads as a guide so far.

I talked to Uprev NZ and they seemed to suggest I'd lose the tune currently on the car. It runs great as is, so I'd rather not reflash at the minute.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 06:49 PM
Performance Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Sure would be good to give your location.

Sounds like you have what in the 70's&80's in the U.S. was called a "grey market " car.
A lot a stuff left out or,was added for the country that it came.
My dad had a Porsche 911 like that.

Never got to run right.

Guess its the old ,buyer beware(Latin phrase).
There are ways to fix for sure.
Find a creative tuner or a old guy that can make it happen.

Good luck.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUROZ View Post
Sure would be good to give your location.

Sounds like you have what in the 70's&80's in the U.S. was called a "grey market " car.
A lot a stuff left out or,was added for the country that it came.
My dad had a Porsche 911 like that.

Never got to run right.

Guess its the old ,buyer beware(Latin phrase).
There are ways to fix for sure.
Find a creative tuner or a old guy that can make it happen.

Good luck.
I'm in New Zealand. Yep, I know it's an import, it came from Japan a few months ago. The owner previous had fitted a momo wheel which he sold it with. To come in the country here, it needs to meet safety standards, so an oem wheel was fitted, which had cruise controls on it. I'm now investigating getting cruise working as a retrofit, just because the wheel is there
People have done it, but the software requires the reflash. I'm trying to find out whether there is a way of flashing the software without losing the tune on it currently.

The difference might be other people were fitting it to cars that were export style, but without cruise as an option.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 07:40 PM
Performance Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB037 View Post
I'm in New Zealand. Yep, I know it's an import, it came from Japan a few months ago. The owner previous had fitted a momo wheel which he sold it with. To come in the country here, it needs to meet safety standards, so an oem wheel was fitted, which had cruise controls on it. I'm now investigating getting cruise working as a retrofit, just because the wheel is there
People have done it, but the software requires the reflash. I'm trying to find out whether there is a way of flashing the software without losing the tune on it currently.

The difference might be other people were fitting it to cars that were export style, but without cruise as an option.
Good luck--sounds like a headache starting to happen.
Get creative...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUROZ View Post
Good luck--sounds like a headache starting to happen.
Get creative...
Nah, I don't think so eh. It's something that just piqued my curiosity, seeing the cruise controls already installed. The pedal switches are cheap from Nissan, just the issue of software, which can be solved with a Uprev flash.

If it's not easy, I'll just leave it till I eventually get it retuned. Not a big headache, just a nice to have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement