LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
#1 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 06:13 PM
Base Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Harness bar or roll cage???

So I just picked up a set of Spaco Torino's - impluse buy, and now I have to make a decision on a way to set up the harness bar.

What is everybody's thoughts on this? Should I go with the Sparco Harness bar? A half cage?

It is my daily driver for now but that should change shortly and although I have never taken her to the track, it is something I intend to start doing as I build the suspension.

thanks for the help

1) 89' S13
2) 91' Z32 2+2
3) 03' Z33 - Touring - 666 speed.

Third times a charm.

- BLITZ Nur-Spec Touring Exhaust - Berk HFCs - VIS CF Hood - Motordyne Copper Plenum Spacer - Sparco Torino - Rays Track Wheels - RALCO Short Shifter -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Grand Touring Member

I would go with... a half cage. The bars sit behind the seat so that you're not in much danger of bashing your skull in. But, it SHOULD also give you some protection in case of a rollover, whereas the harness bar is more of a death trap.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...45811_8128.jpg
Daily Driver (65k miles): APS Intercooled TT, Built Motor, Arias, Eagle, HKS, UTEC, Deutschworks, Wilwood BBK, MB Weapons, Nito NT 555RII, ACT clutch, Fidanza flywheel, KW Variant 3 coilovers, Hotchkis sways, Cusco control arms, Authentic JDM Spec Nismo V2 body kit, Z Speed, Quiafe, HID, AIT R1 Hood, HKS EVC, HKS Hi Flow, custom 3" TD exhaust, APS 3.5" down pipes, GReddy, Defi, AEM
#3 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 10:50 PM
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Willy.
I was thinking cage too.
Any ideas on which cage to choose? or where to buy?

1) 89' S13
2) 91' Z32 2+2

Third times a charm.

- BLITZ Nur-Spec Touring Exhaust - Berk HFCs - VIS CF Hood - Motordyne Copper Plenum Spacer - Sparco Torino - Rays Track Wheels - RALCO Short Shifter -
#4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 03:07 AM
Performance Member

Since the half cage goes behind the seat and seat rails, you'll not be able to move the seat all the way back. The seat belt harness bar will also shorten how far back you can recline. IF your a big guy like me, your gonna have to do some custom work..
#5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Oh, thats no good.
I drive with the seat all the way back as it is.
If I do a custom cage is there a way to mack sure I meet with standards?
I'd like it to be a legit cage for when I take it to the track.

thanks guys.

1) 89' S13
2) 91' Z32 2+2

Third times a charm.

#6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTheory View Post
Oh, thats no good.
I drive with the seat all the way back as it is.
If I do a custom cage is there a way to mack sure I meet with standards?
I'd like it to be a legit cage for when I take it to the track.

thanks guys.
That usually will require more than just a half cage, which then puts your head in big time danger in case of an accident. ...that's why its pretty hard to find a compromise between a DD and a full time track car...

Daily Driver (65k miles): APS Intercooled TT, Built Motor, Arias, Eagle, HKS, UTEC, Deutschworks, Wilwood BBK, MB Weapons, Nito NT 555RII, ACT clutch, Fidanza flywheel, KW Variant 3 coilovers, Hotchkis sways, Cusco control arms, Authentic JDM Spec Nismo V2 body kit, Z Speed, Quiafe, HID, AIT R1 Hood, HKS EVC, HKS Hi Flow, custom 3" TD exhaust, APS 3.5" down pipes, GReddy, Defi, AEM
#7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 01:13 AM
Performance Member

I had an idea about cutting out a hole by the glove box and another one on the opposite side. The pipe will be welded behind glove box door area, letting you sldiethe seat all the way back. Seat belt harness bar would still be in front of the sound bar. I'd say you'll loose one to two clicks on your recline position. The only way to move back the seat belt bar, would be to remove the sound bar.

Roll Bar bellow is by Autopower Industries. I would only recommend this for show, but it will help none the less.

If you could get the small legs to mount on the sound bar and the 2 longer pipes down to the trunk, this would be ideal for big/tall people. This is considered a "roll bar" I would strongly recommend not to use the seat belt harness bar with this setup. Recommended height for harness bar is below shoulder level. If bar is above the shoulder's, the seat belt will not pull down the driver/passenger into the seat and he/she can be ejected sideways out the seat in a roll over.
#8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 02:23 AM
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
this is a hard decision.
I want to be able to run the harness and the torinos but i don't want to be uncomfortable every time a drive it! Any other ways to mount a harness?

1) 89' S13
2) 91' Z32 2+2

Third times a charm.

#9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via AIM to NoZYet
Read the installation guide, and follow them to the letter. Improperly installed harnesses can load your spine in a dangerous way. Make sure your seats are compatible with the harness you're using.

Willy's absolutely right, in my opinion track cars and road cars should be distinct entities, the safety requirements are very, very different. A half cage might be an OK compromise to get started. It might not be a bad idea to start with the cage spec in the SCCA rules book, as their requirements are the results of real (and legally responsible) engineering time.

~Pat

2010 True Red Miata Sport
My Photography
From now on we live in a world where man has walked on the Moon. It's not a miracle; we just decided to go. - Tom Hanks, Apollo 13.
#10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Grand Touring Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoZYet View Post
Read the installation guide, and follow them to the letter. Improperly installed harnesses can load your spine in a dangerous way. Make sure your seats are compatible with the harness you're using.

Willy's absolutely right, in my opinion track cars and road cars should be distinct entities, the safety requirements are very, very different. A half cage might be an OK compromise to get started. It might not be a bad idea to start with the cage spec in the SCCA rules book, as their requirements are the results of real (and legally responsible) engineering time.

~Pat
The one pictured will not be legal. Get something welded in, if that's the way you want to go. I would personally avoid harnesses on the road, they're arguably more dangerous without a cage, and they're just a hassel.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement