User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
#1 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 03:18 PM
Base Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Many apologies if this has been asked and answered, but I couldn't find it during a search of the forum.

Anyhow... I have a new Borla TD system on my 2007 Z. Ever since the mechanic installed it, I have had a terrible vibration noise at slow speeds. Mostly between 20-30mph and low RPMs (where one would expect to have the most vibration). I can reproduce the rattle by leaving it in Drive, holding the brake and maintaining 1000 RPM on the tach. It is definitely coming from the muffler.

We have checked all the brackets, hangars, bolts, nuts, dickfers, etc. All to no avail.

Anyone have any suggestions? I would like to fix this myself if I can. I would rather not deal with the mechanic who installed it (as he should have caught it right away) and I don't want the hassle of dealing with the manufacturer. Just a quick fix if someone has an idea.

I suppose I will go to Borla if no one has the "fix".

Thanks guys!

Robin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 10:16 PM
Touring Member

Are the tips rubbing the rear bumper and causing the Vibs?

DAN

STANCE-SPC-GTM-HKS-FAST INTENTIONS-K&N-HPS-UPREV
#3 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
QUOTE (One_Quick_Z @ Apr 15 2008, 06:16 PM)
Quote:
Are the tips rubbing the rear bumper and causing the Vibs?

DAN
Nope. It has good clearance all around. At first I thought it was the license plate and bracket. So I put double sided tape on the plate to ensure that wasn't the root cause (it rattled a tiny bit).

I checked everything. It is definitely coming from within the muffler. If I get the rattle going (as described in my first post), and then bump the muffler itself, it will go away for a few minutes.

Freaky-ness.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:06 AM
Base Member

i can't say for my z, i had the same rattling problem. let me guess its when you initially step on the gas, or turning while changing gears, if these are correct your catalytic converter is broken. since you now have a higher flowing exhaust you are now able to hear the catalytic rattle as opposed to before with your stock, you could not hear it.
#5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
QUOTE (gbarrera @ Apr 17 2008, 05:06 AM)
Quote:
i can't say for my z, i had the same rattling problem. let me guess its when you initially step on the gas, or turning while changing gears, if these are correct your catalytic converter is broken. since you now have a higher flowing exhaust you are now able to hear the catalytic rattle as opposed to before with your stock, you could not hear it.
Okay, fair enough... But why would the rattle go away when the muffler is "bumped"?

Thanks for your input!
#6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 02:03 AM
Enthusiast Member

Borla is notorious for rattle because on one of the hangers is at an odd angle. I know you said you checked this but i have fought with mine a few times until i pounded it straighter. Get under the car, look up and you will see the rubber that the hanger fits into, the hanger had a tapered end, on the rubber there is a metal bracket that does tend to rattle against the hanger, (it is on the front of the hanger not the tip that goes through the other side) i have layered electrical tape to muffle the noise, do not use a rubber hose, it will create an obnoxious squeak on turns.....

It may not appread to be rubbing but check around the forums, you might get a picture that shows exactly what im talking about, try to use the fix and see if it fades....

- Vortech w/ 2.87 - Utec - 440 injectors - Random Technology High flow cats - borla TD exhaust -
359whp 314tq
2003 AT brickyard Z
#7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
QUOTE (cheatthe1 @ May 3 2008, 10:03 PM)
Quote:
Borla is notorious for rattle because on one of the hangers is at an odd angle. I know you said you checked this but i have fought with mine a few times until i pounded it straighter. Get under the car, look up and you will see the rubber that the hanger fits into, the hanger had a tapered end, on the rubber there is a metal bracket that does tend to rattle against the hanger, (it is on the front of the hanger not the tip that goes through the other side) i have layered electrical tape to muffle the noise, do not use a rubber hose, it will create an obnoxious squeak on turns.....

It may not appread to be rubbing but check around the forums, you might get a picture that shows exactly what im talking about, try to use the fix and see if it fades....
Thanks... I will give that a look tonight.

Robin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement