User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Need Some Fi Information

Hi! I didn't want to be that guy that asked a whole bunch of questions because I'm a noob... But I've googled tons upton tons of things trying to figure out what to do. I want to boost my Z, I understand it cost a good bit of money but even if it does I'd like to know a good number to start saving up for so heres my idea. I want to either twin turbo it wich would probably be sgp twins or supercharge it with the new supercharger that can get you to 500hp, my goal is 600hp also reliable daily driven but on grudge night drag champion. I understand on needing a built motor thats where a bunch of my questions are about I need to get one I'm going to buy it built and ready to deal with 500-600hp I have no desire to build one or buy the parts individually and have them assembled because seems like too much for me what is a good built vq35de to buy that will do very well with reliability and the hp I want I've looked at IPP motors sgp motors wich is the best stage motor to get that is the
bang for your buck and isnt lacking on anything and will be reliable for 500-600hp what else will I need to mod to handle that amount of hp and how much money am I looking at here? Would it just be better and cheaper to swap a better engine into the car instead of buying a built engine and boosting it? Let me know please sorry for being a noob please don't flame me if I said anything wrong writing this while very tired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 12:00 AM
Touring Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Welcome and we'll try to distill some answers for you. First, it sounds like you're looking for a turnkey solution with a built FI engine. Recognize that the skilled labor will cost significantly more and be ready to pay an extra $5-7K for it. That's just for the labor to build and install a boosted VQ. Do you know how to interview and choose the right shop locally?

If not, pick a nationally known shop with a great reputation like Z1 in Atlanta. Be prepared to pay for it. Of course, you'll need a better clutch setup, so add another $1.5-2K, together with a custom tune and the software to go with it, another $2K. Together with the other parts needed, figure around $16K (I may be low).

As for a "better" engine, the VQ is one of the best out there, but yeah, you can drop a V8 in there and it may be cheaper. But again, you need a lot of skilled labor to make this conversion into a reliable DD, so get ready to haul out the wallet. The key here is to pick a shop you can trust implicitly to do the job right and on budget. There are legions of noobs who've lost small fortunes by going with the wrong shops. Caveat emptor!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 12:52 AM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
500 to 600whp will cost you $25k to $30k if you want it reliable and you want to keep you hands clean!

best of luck!

'03 Z33
'71 S30
'04 Triton 5.4

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmura View Post
Welcome and we'll try to distill some answers for you. First, it sounds like you're looking for a turnkey solution with a built FI engine. Recognize that the skilled labor will cost significantly more and be ready to pay an extra $5-7K for it. That's just for the labor to build and install a boosted VQ. Do you know how to interview and choose the right shop locally?

If not, pick a nationally known shop with a great reputation like Z1 in Atlanta. Be prepared to pay for it. Of course, you'll need a better clutch setup, so add another $1.5-2K, together with a custom tune and the software to go with it, another $2K. Together with the other parts needed, figure around $16K (I may be low).

As for a "better" engine, the VQ is one of the best out there, but yeah, you can drop a V8 in there and it may be cheaper. But again, you need a lot of skilled labor to make this conversion into a reliable DD, so get ready to haul out the wallet. The key here is to pick a shop you can trust implicitly to do the job right and on budget. There are legions of noobs who've lost small fortunes by going with the wrong shops. Caveat emptor!

I understand that it wont be easy and will be a lot of money but still be less then buying a 600hp car so I think it's the best thing to do is get a built engine or swap the engine if I where to swap the engine I'd have it done professionally but what price am I looking at for that? But for the built engine route I would like to buy a built engine off import parts pro or sgp or soem site that sells built vq35 engines what is the best engine build for the best price that can run stable hp? Please link me to a site with the best engine build to buy that is reliable and isn't slacking on any parts and all parts are good in the built and will run stable hp reliably link me yo somewhere I can buy a good built engine like I described, thanks for the help I really appreciate it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:04 AM
Touring Member

Sorry- not that easy to just give you a link. You'll need to research and interview several shops to decide who you want to do business with. Where are you located?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmura View Post
Sorry- not that easy to just give you a link. You'll need to research and interview several shops to decide who you want to do business with. Where are you located?

Oh well I was thinking bout buying one of import parts pro but engines but don't know if they lack on any good parts n there built engine that they're slacking on and wont be able to take akl the hp or will bottleneck the hp... I'm in morganton nc close to hickory...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 10:45 AM
Touring Member

I'd check with Z1 Motorsports in Atlanta as a strong possibility.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 08:28 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
If I was in your shoes and you are not tied to a 350z, I'd look into something with an LS in it. Put a turbo or a SC on it and you'll get your 600.

Read build threads of guys that have done what you'd like to do and repeat what theyve done. Don't reinvent the wheel. Z1 is good as is Import Parts Pro...

'03 Z33
'71 S30
'04 Triton 5.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement