#1 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 02:43 AM
Base Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Cool 350Z 400HP Build SUPERCHARGER

Car = 2003 350Z N/A M/T
I am looking for suggestions to my build. Here is a list of parts that I will be getting.. If you think the manufacture is crap or there is a better more reliable replacement out there. Please make the adjustment to my list.

I want to get 400HP on the dyno, my understanding is i should get about 332HP on the streets with that..

--Need to buy-- (TOTAL $10800)
*Step 1* (Breathing) $500
Air filter system - Apexi Power Intake
Exhaust system - Custom 3'' W/Dual 3'' Muffler
*Step 2* (Handling, Looks) $2000
Springs - Sustec gf210 (grip force)
Shocks - Koni yellows

Rims + Tires - Motegi MR11618x9 Front/Rear
*Step 3* (Power balancing) $1300
ECU Piggy - TurboXS UTEC Engine Management System
GET TUNED
*Step 4*(Power, Final power balance) $7000
Radiator - Mishimoto
Boost controller w/gauge - AEM Tru Boost Controller
SuperCharger - Vortech
GET FINAL TUNE

I changed up to a SuperCharger due to wanting more power off the line! This should get me to 360-370.. Possibly 380.. Right?
I am NOT looking to make MORE than 400HP on a dyno. That's my absolute TOP!

??Any specific clutch that would work good?? Will stock hold fine..?

Last edited by Super Z; 09-25-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 10:25 AM
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via AIM to NoZYet
I'd avoid the kit. A universal tubing kit might be a good decision, but I wouldn't trust my engine with a $250 turbo, they spin way to fast, and can come apart so fast that I would want a high quality one made by a manufacturer that warranties it, and cares about their reputation. Additionally, I've read claims that a lot of these kits use oil coolers as intercoolers. Maybe by a universal kit for the tubing, but order better components for the important stuff, or prototype it all out of cardboard, plastic, whatever and take that to an exhaust shop to fab up.

I'd also skip the other engine work until you're ready to do the twins, so you can make sure that everything still gets used after the kit goes on. Suspension sounds good to me, haven't ridden in a car with the Koni's or springs, but Koni is a well thought of manufacturer.

~Pat

2010 True Red Miata Sport
My Photography
From now on we live in a world where man has walked on the Moon. It's not a miracle; we just decided to go. - Tom Hanks, Apollo 13.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Base Member

That 5700 is only gonna get you a good qaulity tuner TT kit. Look to spend another 2500-5k for supporting mods (ECU, Clutch, Flywheel, Guages, blah, blah, blah. There isn't any real way to do a TT install on the cheap, unless you can do the work yourself.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Z View Post
(TOTAL $5720)
This is the price of a REAL turbo kit where REAL engineers spent time, money, and know-how to iron out the kinks and take the risk for you. For that price, you get reliable components. You will absolutely regret trying to piece together a kit for this car.

Quote:
Down pipe - Custom 3in
Turbo Manifold - Custom
This is going to be INSANELY expensive. Another thing is that you will need TWO of these. As well as TWO turbos. And an intercooler with two inlets and one outlet.

Quote:
What do you guys think of this cheap $750 turbo kit?
That word, CHEAP, does not go well with turbo kits and this car. The turbo in that kit is a cheap China turbo that will blow in 2-3 months, TOPS. Also, as I said, you need two turbos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoZYet View Post
A universal tubing kit might be a good decision...
I wouldn't even do that. The Z is not a Honda (and I'm just being a smob here), there isn't enough room in our engine bays to be able to easily make a universal piping kit work. Making the plumbing work on the Z is a nightmare. It's going to take a TON of custom bends and welding to reproduce plumbing that is properly mounted, won't leak boost, and won't rub on important wires and hoses/lines.

I'm sorry to say, but you are going about this all wrong. You need AT LEAST $10K to do this right. I'm not bullshitting you here or trying to discourage you, just being real. If you want advice on a good place to start, look at the GTM kit and go from there.

'03 Enthusiast-UpRev-Nismo-VOLK-Stillen-Motordyne-INGS+1-Lightwerkz-Brembo-StopTech-Injen-K&N
275WHP/245WTQ
#5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 12:49 AM
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrm350 View Post
This is the price of a REAL turbo kit where REAL engineers spent time, money, and know-how to iron out the kinks and take the risk for you. For that price, you get reliable components. You will absolutely regret trying to piece together a kit for this car.

This is going to be INSANELY expensive. Another thing is that you will need TWO of these. As well as TWO turbos. And an intercooler with two inlets and one outlet.

That word, CHEAP, does not go well with turbo kits and this car. The turbo in that kit is a cheap China turbo that will blow in 2-3 months, TOPS. Also, as I said, you need two turbos.

I wouldn't even do that. The Z is not a Honda (and I'm just being a smob here), there isn't enough room in our engine bays to be able to easily make a universal piping kit work. Making the plumbing work on the Z is a nightmare. It's going to take a TON of custom bends and welding to reproduce plumbing that is properly mounted, won't leak boost, and won't rub on important wires and hoses/lines.

I'm sorry to say, but you are going about this all wrong. You need AT LEAST $10K to do this right. I'm not bullshitting you here or trying to discourage you, just being real. If you want advice on a good place to start, look at the GTM kit and go from there.

Well, I was thinking about everything and i should have said I wanted to do a single turbo 350z. Not a twin turbo. I will be choosing a BIG TURBO! I have owned supra for years done all my own work (COMPLETE BUILDS). In the supra world it's better to do 1 single BIG TURBO! At least that's the side I have chosen. This will bring me less turbo lag. An I am not trying to take off like a jet or anything. Just 400HP..
I have not seen much debate as it is in the supra world with 7mgte, 1jz, 2jz and the single turbo vs twin turbo. Is there solid proof that there is a good system that has less turbo lag than a single BIG turbo?

BTW thanks for you responses.
#6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 12:57 AM
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Also, I don't mind kicking the old crappy kit to the curb and "PAYING TO PLAY!" I would gladly save up some doh, or flip a car or two. For this Z, I think I am going to have PRE (in Portland) do the work. That will cost a hefty buck or two. For the good work they do.. It's nothing..
#7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 01:38 AM
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Changed it up from the Turbo to the Supercharger.. Makes more sense for my style.. I wanna go quick right off the bat...
#8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 01:55 PM
Base Member

Don't be so quick to be discouraged on the turbos. I bought my 03 in 05. I started with wheels, then body kit, then started saving for FI. I have acquired a new TT kit and all the needed accessories since then. Since, I've been saving the cash for the install (ain't no way I'm doing it) and I'm there now. Will be calling shop today or Monday to see whn I can get in. It's now 2010. So there you go--it took me 5 years to get to FI. I know it's gonna be worth the wait (find someone with a TTZ and you will see what I mean).
#9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekinthez View Post
Don't be so quick to be discouraged on the turbos. I bought my 03 in 05. I started with wheels, then body kit, then started saving for FI. I have acquired a new TT kit and all the needed accessories since then. Since, I've been saving the cash for the install (ain't no way I'm doing it) and I'm there now. Will be calling shop today or Monday to see whn I can get in. It's now 2010. So there you go--it took me 5 years to get to FI. I know it's gonna be worth the wait (find someone with a TTZ and you will see what I mean).

Sc is quicker off the line.. that's why I want a sc instead of a turbo.. comments?
#10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 02:41 AM
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via AIM to NoZYet
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrm350 View Post

I don't disagree that the kit is the wrong way to go. However, I seriously doubt many, if any, of the Z kits on the market have any real engineering time involved outside of the turbo manufacturer. None of the companies absorb any of the risk, I've seen blown engines from every manufacturer big enough to move more than 1 or 2 kits. The only company that I've ever seen take responsibility for their product is Cosworth with the Miata supercharger, it's worth noting, they have real engineers on staff.

I've seen homebuilt jobs or one offs on cars much more expensive than a Z. Running tubing may suck, but if you go slow, and mock the system up before cutting tubing, it shouldn't be horrible. I also suspect if step one is asking questions on here, you're not going to be able to do it right.

~Pat

2010 True Red Miata Sport
My Photography
From now on we live in a world where man has walked on the Moon. It's not a miracle; we just decided to go. - Tom Hanks, Apollo 13.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement