LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
#1 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 06:37 AM
Enthusiast Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to briankort
(Thread Starter)
I was looking through the posts today and saw that it is pretty big now in Japan to try and tune/modify NA engines right now. It was mentioned that they are making alot of changes to the timing because according to them, the stock timing is set up very mild from the factory. I was curious if anyone on this site has had a shop tune the timing on their car. And if so, did you see a noticeable difference?

I would really like to hear from FI applications, but all input is appreciated. Right now I am running the Vortech Supercharger and was able to get another 30HP out of just tuning the air/fuel ratio. The software package for programming the Vortech allows for timing advance and retard throughout the RPM range. I am not an expert and did not feel safe at the time to start adjusting the timing.

If you know of any GOOD shops that can hook my car up to a computer and look at the timing and see where in the RPM range we could make improvements, I would appreciate it. Also if there is any good reading info about this, feel free to throw up a link.

2003 6MT Super Black Touring - Kinetix SSV Intake Manifold - Vortech SC w/ 3.25" pulley - Alpha Werks Headers - B&M Short Shifter - Nismo Shift knob - 19" Konig Unknown wheels - Seibon VSII Carbon Fiber Hood - Borla dual exhaust - Random Tech High Flow Cats

391 rwhp & 312 ft/lbs @ 10psi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to toykilla Send a message via Yahoo to toykilla
With FI you want to pull timing. There has been too many blown engines to not take care of the timing. From what I gather we actually have aggressive timing. What I read from the JDM tuners was they were focusing on the variable valve timing which is not typically what we refer to as timing.

AIM: jbass350z

#3 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 06:18 PM
Enthusiast Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
With FI you want to pull timing. There has been too many blown engines to not take care of the timing. From what I gather we actually have aggressive timing. What I read from the JDM tuners was they were focusing on the variable valve timing which is not typically what we refer to as timing.
So what/how are they adjusting variable valve timing? Anyone?

2003 6MT Super Black Touring - Kinetix SSV Intake Manifold - Vortech SC w/ 3.25" pulley - Alpha Werks Headers - B&M Short Shifter - Nismo Shift knob - 19" Konig Unknown wheels - Seibon VSII Carbon Fiber Hood - Borla dual exhaust - Random Tech High Flow Cats

#4 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 06:59 PM
Touring Member

Send a message via MSN to PaulO
Aloha,
Probably have to go to a standalone system. Don't know of any specific brand. From what I've read, piggyback systems can alter fuel curve, but haven't seen any stating they can adjust timing profiles.
Oh, BTW, I also heard the Z's timing curve is aggressive.

A Hui Hou

PaulO

2005 Lemans Sunset "Fairlady Z" Roadster, 18" wheels, LLumar Protect Film, Formula One 35% Ceramic Tint, Injen MR short Intake, Varis Intake Duct, Max Ground Kit (raffle win), DEI Hornet 700T Alarm System, Hardwired/mounted Passport 8500, Silver bulbs, smoked reflectors, Painted headlights with smoked strip. Gorilla Nuts lugnuts, JWT Oil Pan Spacer, Hawk HPS Pads, Stillen pillar vane XD and slotted rotors, PIPS
#5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 12:09 AM
Base Member

My workshop advised against adjusting timing as it is already aggressive. Our car uses the long type spark plug which allows this aggressive timing. A mildly modded car without internals work can gain only 10HP through AFR leaning.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 02:48 AM
Enthusiast Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
A mildly modded car without internals work can gain only 10HP through AFR leaning.
I am assuming this is for a NA car?

#7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 04:39 PM
Touring Member

Send a message via MSN to PaulO
Aloha,
Just picked up the latest Import Tuner mag. They have an article on aftermarket units. seems AEM MAY allow timing adjustments (not sure if it's applicable to Z's) HKS F-Con isn't user adjustable. Personally, unless you're extremely talented in tuning a VQ, I'd stick to AFR tuning, WITH knock sensor.

A Hui Hou

PaulO

2005 Lemans Sunset "Fairlady Z" Roadster, 18" wheels, LLumar Protect Film, Formula One 35% Ceramic Tint, Injen MR short Intake, Varis Intake Duct, Max Ground Kit (raffle win), DEI Hornet 700T Alarm System, Hardwired/mounted Passport 8500, Silver bulbs, smoked reflectors, Painted headlights with smoked strip. Gorilla Nuts lugnuts, JWT Oil Pan Spacer, Hawk HPS Pads, Stillen pillar vane XD and slotted rotors, PIPS
#8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 04:25 AM
Weq
Base Member

Properly tuning a FI engine (espically from NA) means getting the timing correct... there is ALOT to timing, and u will need a dyno atleast to find an optimal level.

letting the ECU control the timing based on knock is just stupid. kocnk sensor is saftey measure to protect the user in unforseen circumstances (ie bad fuel).
#9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 02:14 PM

Quote:
ly have to go to a standalone system. Don't know of any specific brand. From what I've read, piggyback systems can alter fuel curve, but haven't seen any stating they can adjust timing profiles.
My Unichip can.

"I swear, officer, its all factory options!"

Understeer is when you hit the tree with the front wheel.
Oversteer is when you hit it with the back.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the tree...
Torque is how far you drag it...
#10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 03:55 PM
Enthusiast Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
My Unichip can.
Yes, but from what I see on there website this is a pre-programmed module. You can't change it yourself whenever you want. Unless they have a model that you can plug a laptop into and make adjustments.

The vortech supercharger comes with a split second box where you can change both the fuel and the timing throughout the boost range in 500rpm increments. I have already tuned the air fuel for almost a perfect 11.9 a/f ratio. I would play with the timing but I am a little nervous to do that. Not much experience.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement