Track Or Touring..? - Nissan 350Z Forum : 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-07-2009, 08:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Base Member

Hi Guys,

New to the forum and the world of the Nissan 350Z's, so howdy!

I'm deciding which year and model to buy, and so far after searching around the forum and hearing people's opinions about the difference in models, its going to be an 2007 model. I personally not to fond about the earlier model's headlights, it looks rather odd and was further put off by it not having xenon HID as standard, and further again being the most under powered (though power is not an issue, i rather use my driving skills to make up for a lack of power, but that's another story).
I'm not interested in the anniversary edition at all, and MY06 models have that oil consumption issue which i can definately live without the stress/hassle of having to deal with that.

So 2007 it is, its the most powerful, xenon HIDs, and its about 2yrs old (almost going to be 3yrs when the year turns), so its not that old.
My question is for those who have compared your models with with other variants... What is the difference between the Track and the Touring model?!

According to redbook, its not a whole great lot...

Track Model:
Brembo Brakes
Dynamic Stability Control
Front lip
a detachable bump on its bum called a spoiler

Touring Model:
Active Head rests................................. >_<

I never driven a car hard enough with dynamic stability control before to know what it feels like, and i think i prefer to rely on my driving skills to compensate

The only thing i'm concerned about is the Brembo Brakes on the track model, as in i would love to have them. I had upgraded brakes on my previous car and did track it once a month... and yes, i 'was' a track whore back then.. but now, being engaged... i've been whipped... (poor me), so i may not be going to the track as often as i would have back then but occasionally, yes. Is there a massive difference in the brembo brakes and the touring brakes on the street, and 'how much' of a difference is there on the track? Let say for argument sakes, the brake pads and rotors are stock and worn in.

The reason why i ask is there is one in WA at the moment that i've got my eye on, but its a touring model...

Thanks in advance guys, and of course correct me if i'm wrong!!

Cheers,
_Edz
EdZz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2009, 08:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Touring Member

Get the brembos. I get up to Barbs as for the nolimits nights as much as possible, and the touring brakes go very spongy, very quickly, even with decent pads and rbf660.

Oh and Welcome!!
Old 10-07-2009, 10:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to scathing Send a message via MSN to scathing

The Touring is only a better buy, ironically, if you intend on tracking the car and modifying it to suit. It's the cheaper car, while not missing anything you want.

VDC is counter-productive on the track and is difficult to completely switch off. The "TCS off" button does as advertised. The VDC is only useful in low grip conditions on the street, where your mind may not always be 100% focused.

The aero makes SFA difference. If you're serious about tracking you'd probably get a proper kit with diffusers and a bigger wing, which means all the OEM aero extras on the Track will get binned anyway.

The Brembos, while good, will still not last a complete 15 minutes flat out on the track if you're using R-Comps (even with a "Step 1" upgrade of the consumables). They'll last longer than the non-Brembos, of course, but you'll still end up wanting "more". The only benefit is that you can sell the OEM Brembos off to someone else who isn't planning on tracking their car. Only a few V35 Skylines came with them, so there's a ready market for people wanting a bolt-on upgrade.

On the street, where you don't intend on drop $5K+ on a BBK, the Brembos are marginally better. It provides better initial response, and aftermarket rotors/pads are easier to source. They also fill out big wheels a bit better.

Absolute stopping distances on a single panic stop from near-legal speeds are practically the same between the 2 OEM brake setups, and on the street you shouldn't ever be driving the car hard enough to fade the non-Brembos out. Especially if you get aftermarket pads and rotors. As such, performance-wise the only benefit of Brembos is the initial bite.

The 0.01Cd drop is going to mean sweet FA, and the aero bits can all be bought as spare parts and retrofitted for around $300 if you get a used chin spoiler and rear boot spoiler. Any bodykit removes almost all the OEM Track aero equipment, minus the lower rear diffusers, but the parts cost around $140 back when I ordered them.

Both sets of rims look too small on the car anyway, so for looks they'll need to be replaced. As such, the 17" vs 18" difference is irrelevant.

Understeer is when you hit the tree with the front wheel.
Oversteer is when you hit it with the back.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the tree...
Torque is how far you drag it...
scathing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Touring Member

What he said.

I bought the track, with the intention of hitting...well, the track. If I could do it all again I'd buy a touring and spend the difference on a set of better after-market brakes and I wouldn't have to press the VDC-off button as part of my car-starting procedure.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Base Member

awesome info scathing and thanks Kam80! Much appreciated!
So i guess its set then, Touring it is, yay!

It will probably take me a few months to get used to the weight of the car and being RWD. My previous car was FWD, the dynamics are some what different. And since summer is just around the corner, it would be an awesome time to go tracking again!! WOOOOOT!! I'm getting excited!!!

Monk13,
Good to hear that there are still active WA Z's on the forum.
I personally have not been to a nolimits event, i've only ever been socailly, but do autokanas/motorkanas every month back in the days.
EdZz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member

Send a message via MSN to tengui

Welcome,

Ive got an 08 track. Like scathing was saying you will defiantly want more from the brembos if your going to put it on the track. Stage 2 upgrade would be to swap out the rotors for a set of 2 piece slotted ones..Oh and brake lines.. you will need to upgrade those as well. If you do take that path make sure the rotors and pads have a high temperature rating. Brakes, sway bars, coilovers, rims, clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder and air intake are all things you will want to get squared away fairly quickly... Enjoy
Old 10-08-2009, 04:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Grand Touring Member

Brembos is the main difference ... so pretty much what Scathing said. Though, in timed-sprint situations (ie. the club track day format), the Brembos should endure an entire (5 lap) session without any problem if you have your pads and fluid upgraded.

I have the track model and on the track brakes are there at all times .. that is while my pads are in good shape (ie. less than 50% worn). ie. the Brembo brakes are not what lets the car down ... it will stop in the optimum time/distance in practically all situations I put it throught. Though, I have an '03 model, so with the '07 it might be different considering the extra weight it's carrying ... still, I would not think so.

Though, from what you said in the 1st post, you should be fine with the touring brakes ... so I'd recommend Touring for you as well.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Touring Member

Hmmm I should of put a little more detail into my post earlier, but I was a little drunk at the time...

I bought a touring with intentions of putting bigger brakes on the car, than the OEM brembos. But unfortunately my plans keep getting shot to hell by my frequent and seemingly uncontrollable urge to spend my money on stuff that I really don't need. I still plan on doing the upgrade however.

As scathing has mentioned, the VDC is not something you want on the track. I have driven an 03 track (they may have improved the VDC in later models, but I have not read/seen anything mentioning that) and have had the VDC kick in, in the wet, on an on ramp onto the Gold Coast Motor way over east. I have to say, it was a little freaky. No sir, I did not like it.

As I mentioned I have found the touring brakes to go very soft very quickly at no limits, to the point where I'm a little worried about running the long track and braking hard into the last corner... I guess I will see in December when I finally make it back there. If you do track the car, on the standard brakes, good fluid, pads and, as I am yet to do, braided lines are a must IMO.

I haven't had a chance to hit up any other events as of yet. But next year will be entering Dutton (now the ATC) and very possibly entering the LF Performance Speed Series as well. Hope to see you out some time.

Shane.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member

i havnt been in a track model with VDC.. but putting the accelerator down while turning corners in the touring with no TCS on is fun lol..
stevey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to scathing Send a message via MSN to scathing

QUOTE (Tengui @ Oct 8 2009, 03:39 PM)
Quote:
Stage 2 upgrade would be to swap out the rotors for a set of 2 piece slotted ones..Oh and brake lines..
My Brembo setup has:

Brembo Sport slotted rotors
Ferodo DS2500 rotors
Motul RBF600 fluid
Maltech SS brake lines

When I'm rolling on R-Comps, that setup still won't last a full 15 minutes on the track, especially in summer. I've been looking at finding ducting for the front rotors.

Like DavidM said, though, if you only do supersprints where you're only doing 3-4 flying laps, the OEM Brembo calipers with a mild upgrade (fluid and pads) will suffice.

Understeer is when you hit the tree with the front wheel.
Oversteer is when you hit it with the back.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the tree...
Torque is how far you drag it...
scathing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement