LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
#1 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 06:14 AM
Base Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hello Everybody,
Is it possible to fit a TCS to a 350Z 2006 Base Model ??
Because as i I know that the TCS compare the rear wheels speed to the front ones & when a SLIP is detected it will reduce the Injection time & butterfly opening to reduce torque/power.
Is it possible to remove the ABS bloc & fit an ABS/TCS instead & will the engine ECU comply to the TCS commands.... ???

Please advise.
Thanks for your reply(ies)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know for sure, but it seems like you might not be able to do that.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
#3 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
QUOTE (SmoothZ @ Feb 28 2010, 05:41 PM)
Quote:

I don't know for sure, but it seems like you might not be able to do that.

The TCS is an add-on option to the ABS that measures the speed of the tyres & launches the power/torque reduction phase when it detects the SLIP.
So If we replace the standard ABS ECU with a TCS/ABS one, it should be able to detect the SLIP & give the power reduction command through multiplexed or a single wire communication ; but is the Engine ECU common for both vehicles (with the TCS or Without one ?) to be able to understnad those commands ?????
Is there a way to check it on an online spare parts catalogue, if the same engine ECU is fittted for both models ?

Thanks for your help.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Touring Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
A quick look at the Service Manual schematics shows that most of the pin-outs are the same. However, even if the ECU recognizes the commands to cut power, you probably won't have a TCS OFF light or a SLIP light. And you would probably want to retrofit a TCS switch.

Karl
2005 Enthusiast 6MT
#5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 05:20 PM
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via AIM to serx93 Send a message via Yahoo to serx93
The simple answer is yes, given enough time and money anything is possible. Now as for feasible I would have to say no. TCS isnt that great of a system and I have disabled it on my 05 Enthusiast Coupe. Accelerating during hard turns or pulling out of a driveway into traffic with make it kick it and from my experience has almost caused a few accidents.

Take the money you would spend to do this and go attend a local track day or HPDE (High Performance Driving Event) or Autocross and take the car control knowledge you have now to the next level. IN the end you will be much happier. Also as a side note if you plan to track your car at all TCS will give you slower lap times in my experience from all of its interference.

"I usually downshift when I'm near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment"
#6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 10:56 PM
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for your replies,
Do you have any ideas where I can get/buy the Schematics for this car in order to analyse them & decide.
I'm going today to the local Nissan dealer to check if there are any diferences in the references for the engine ECU between the base & the enthusiast.
I'm doing this research cause I want to buy a Z & I found a 2006 base model with 17K miles clean Carfax @ a good price (+Greddy exhaust + 20" marvelous alloys).
In my country we have 3 months of winter & every where they say it's hard to control on wet surfaces.
I have to decide if it's possible to leash the beast during winter before buying it.

Thanks.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 11:21 PM
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via AIM to serx93 Send a message via Yahoo to serx93
you can find and download the Factory Service Manual here

http://350z-tech.com/zwiki/Service:Index

Should have everything you need to make the call. My personal opinion on this is its far easier and cheaper in the long run to buy the car you want instead of trying to build something up. Things like the ECU will be expensive even if its used. Hope this all goes well for you.

Also out of curiosity I have to ask....where are you from?

"I usually downshift when I'm near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment"
#8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Grand Touring Member

QUOTE (SERX93 @ Feb 28 2010, 07:20 PM)
Quote:
The simple answer is yes, given enough time and money anything is possible. Now as for feasible I would have to say no. TCS isnt that great of a system and I have disabled it on my 05 Enthusiast Coupe. Accelerating during hard turns or pulling out of a driveway into traffic with make it kick it and from my experience has almost caused a few accidents.
Take the money you would spend to do this and go attend a local track day or HPDE (High Performance Driving Event) or Autocross and take the car control knowledge you have now to the next level. IN the end you will be much happier. Also as a side note if you plan to track your car at all TCS will give you slower lap times in my experience from all of its interference.
I forgot I had mine on... went through an S turn on a road... almost got rear ended by my buddy behind me.. when the car cuts power.. it really cuts power :( i got pwnd by TCS.. hell it was Greg from ZROC with the Shiro.. i'm sure you've met him at ZDayz.. that would have been bad if he would have hurt that car b/c of my TCS *two thumbs down*

That was a great 5 years with the Z. Moved on to better mpg and regular unleaded.
#9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
QUOTE (SERX93 @ Mar 1 2010, 06:21 AM)
Quote:
you can find and download the Factory Service Manual here

http://350z-tech.com/zwiki/Service:Index

Should have everything you need to make the call. My personal opinion on this is its far easier and cheaper in the long run to buy the car you want instead of trying to build something up. Things like the ECU will be expensive even if its used. Hope this all goes well for you.

Also out of curiosity I have to ask....where are you from?
Thanks for the link.
I've choosen the base edition because it's in my budget...$$$$
Depending on my experience with Peugeot Cars the engine ECU is the same, all we have to do is to configure it with the Diagnostic tool that an extrta option is present on the CAN network (ex:ESP = VDC)
Do you have any Idea if this can be done with Nissan ECUs ???

I'm from Beirut,LEBANON

Tks again for any help that u can give me or anyone else.
#10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Grand Touring Member

I'm going to second what others are saying. TCS is worthless. It is very intrusive in situations where you need a lot of power, like merging for example. It will come on during acceleration while passing over seams in the pavement at normal speeds on the freeway; there's just no need for that. If you are anticipating driving the car in poor weather conditions, a better use of your time and money would be to buy a second set of wheels with good all season or winter/snow tires in my opinion.

'03 Enthusiast-UpRev-Nismo-VOLK-Stillen-Motordyne-INGS+1-Lightwerkz-Brembo-StopTech-Injen-K&N
275WHP/245WTQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement