Flood - Z has some oil and water issues - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Flood - Z has some oil and water issues

My 2003 Z was recently flooded in about 13" of water. I removed the seats and carpet and it is thoroughly dry. It started and drove fine afterwards. A few days later I noticed some oil on the garage floor. I removed the under engine cover and oil was dripping from between the engine and transmission. Blown rear oil seal?? Then I went to start it this evening and It won't crank. Just a click. Are these problems related to the flood? I've never had any trouble with it in 5 years of ownership. It is an automatic with 123,000 on the clock. Thanks in advance for any insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 11:42 PM
Touring Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Wrong section, but usual question: have you pulled any codes after this problem?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 10:04 AM
Touring Member

Are you still under water? Never understand why a Z owner would post up a problem on this board and then neglect coming back with feedback to help get an answer. Even if Loomis found the answer to his flooded Z, it would help the rest of us to know what it was!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
No, it was a matter of the water rising and going right back down. Under water for maybe a half hour. Car is completely dry. removed seats and carpet and dried every thing the next day. Drove it a few times with no problem other than the windshield washer pump not working. A few days later the starter died. That has been replaced. Oil has been changed. Just seems odd that it didn't leak before the flood.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 10:04 AM
Touring Member

Well, it sounds as though you figured out your problems. But a flood is something every Nissan driver must fear- it's almost worse than driving the car off a cliff, as water can get into the sensors and electronic controls that make our cars run properly. It's why flood damaged cars are often totaled and why resales of them have become a problem for unsuspecting buyers.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
I did pull a code PO327 I believe it was. Book says knock sensor right bank low voltage. I can't figure why the oil leak after the water. I'm assuming rear crank seal as the oil is coming from what appears to be a weep hole in the bottom of the bell housing. How big a deal is it to pull tranny (automatic) on this beast?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 01:18 PM
Touring Member

It really depends how many DIY skills (with tools and a garage) you have. Pulling the tranny will take time, and have you ever done one before?

The bigger issue will be the rear main seal. If it's really that big a leak, I'd disassemble the front of the Z and pull the entire drivertrain out to be rebuilt. Now THAT'S a major undertaking, but one you should consider if the bottom end has been contaminated.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
After the flood I cleaned the garage floor and there was no oil on the floor. I drove the car several times after I dried it out but never noticed any oil, but I wasn't looking for it. I drove my granddaughter to college about 25 miles away and when I got there I noticed smoke coming from under the rear of the hood and could smell something hot. I opened the hood and everything looked and smelled normal. When I got home I noticed a few oil spots on the floor. I put a piece of aluminum I had under the car and a couple of spots appeared. Each time I drive it I get a couple of spots. I am driving it without the engine undercovers on it. When I changed the starter I inspected the leak and saw it was coming from the hole in the bell housing. I am pretty mechanically inclined. Was a fabricator and machinist for 50 years. Only tool I lack to do the job would be a transmission jack. The car has 123000 miles and I was looking to sell it or trade for a small truck before this happened. Thanks for the replies by the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement