• 2 Post By dkmura

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Did I Buy Someone Else's Problem?

I want to start out by saying, I have no clue how to work on cars and I do not have any friends that know how to either which sucks. I went and drove 6 hours yesterday to another state for a test drive and to pick up my 350z with 110,000 miles. The car has a clean car fax and is completely stock besides sexy black rims with deep dish. I test drove the car and everything was legit, no check engine light, drove perfect. I purchased the Z and drove it next door to a gas station to fill her up for the long drive home, all of a sudden the car turned on and I went to pull out of the gas station pump and hit the gas with no throttle what so ever. I called the guy back immediately and told him to come over. This guy didn't seem shady at all and I didn't get a bad vibe or I wouldn't have purchased the car. He came over with his mechanic and told me to keep TRACTION CONTROL OFF because of the 20" tires on the back, it throws off the calibration and throws the car into Limp Mode. It kept doing it and I was starting to get irritated. He insisted the car has been great and offered me my money back. The car had the check engine light on along with SLIP and the TRACTION CONTROL OFF. I had to end up paying to get it shipped and now it sits here. I don't know what to do. I call Nissan and they all sound like they have no clue what the heck I'm talking about. I don't know what else to do. This car is beautiful and it just sits in my garage. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you everyone.

Last edited by DarkSilverFairladyZ; 03-16-2016 at 11:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 12:27 AM
Touring Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
The answer to your first question is, yes, you did buy somebody else's problem. Typically TCS (traction control system) does not engage unless there's a loss of traction, or a system malfunction. You might want to post the front and rear tire size (ex: 245-40-18 F, 275-40-18 R) on your vehicle, for us to help you further. Also, your Z is equipped with a sophisticated diagnostic system that can identify problems, but you'll need to pay about an hour of shop time (typically) for your dealer to hook up their CONSULT III system and tell you the results.
EUROZ and MartinZ like this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had the same problem temporarily with my '04 350Z (Roadster Touring 6 speed manual transmission). Once I parked on a flat surface, turned the car off and restarted the car the lights all went off. My TCS will occasionally engage if I hit a slick spot on the road or simply park on an uneven hill. I may be completely wrong but while it certainly can be an indication of something wrong and worth a diagnostic, for all intents and purposes the TCS system is just automatically disabled and shouldn't (?) affect overall performance. Check that the TCS switch is on. Tire size other than the recommended sizes can also cause the TCS to disable & indicator lights to come on. Screen shots from my owners manual pages attached explain it a better than I can. The service engine light comes on when it's time for a servicing. Mine comes on, stays on for a while and then turns off, I suspect it will stop coming on once I get my regular servicing done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TCS.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	50561   Click image for larger version

Name:	TCS2.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	50569  

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 04:49 AM
Performance Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
It does sound as your Z went into a limp mode.
As dkmura mentioned,the Z has a rather sophistcated system
that reads "improper" things that are happening to the car.
Not sure if problem with the TCS is one of them. At least I
have never heard of this happening before. From my experience,
a limp mode action is due to a sensor problem. A diagnostic check
would get the correct information.
Just my opinion,20's on a Z look bad. Just don't work for me.
There is a tolerance of sorts that the system in your car will allow
on tire sizes that differ from stock. I am thinking that with the 20's
you have tires mounted are way over this tolerance. I'm guessing
they are taller than needed.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 06:03 AM
Base Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Clearly the salesman was well aware of the problem...

Only the track model had the vehicle stability system which would get upset about incorrect front/rear wheel/tyre sizes
The touring model was not equipped with this device

The engine check light is on - get Nissan to scan the car to discover why - take it from there
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 10:47 AM
Touring Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinZ View Post
Clearly the salesman was well aware of the problem...

Only the track model had the vehicle stability system which would get upset about incorrect front/rear wheel/tyre sizes
The touring model was not equipped with this device

The engine check light is on - get Nissan to scan the car to discover why - take it from there

Sorry- this is not correct. USDM Z33s had VDC on the performance, touring, GT and track models. Depending on where you live, VDC can be a significant factor.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 11:41 PM
Base Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Fair enough - all touring models in Australia were not fitted with the VDC unit
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 08:45 PM
Base Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I can't remember where abouts i read this but if there is a difference between front and rear tire circumference is more than 10% this causes the traction control to go and bit loopy thus causing the running problems you seem to be experiencing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement