Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner

My gas gauge is stuck on quarter tank

4K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  flynzed 
#1 ·
My gas gauge is stuck on quarter tank but when I put gas that is more than a quarter tank it starts registering that I'm adding gas I have no been able to figure out the problem plz help it's an 03 350z 6speed

#2 ·
There is a processes for cleaning the sending units in the tank, this is a commom problem with the 03 and 04 modle years. Do a quick search and you should come up with the fix. It consist of pulling each sending unit behind each seat and cleaning the float side bar contact area with some alcohol and a Q tip.

#4 ·
The one behind the drivers seat is under the sub-woofer if your car is so equipped. The other is under the large storage area behind the passengers seat and is a bit easier to get to but harder to remover from the tank due to its size. Just take your time and it will come out with a little tilting and angling. On top of both sides of the gas take you will see round covers with about 8 or 10 bolts, take care to put the gasket back in place correctly to prevent any future leaks or gas smell. Be sure to disconnect the negative side of your batter to prevent any sparks while unplugging the sending units. In all it should take about 90 minutes.

#5 ·
I finish everything cleaned everything and finally it read that I was low on gas but I went to put gas and put a full tank and it reads almost full just off a quarter tank I was thinking I put the senser unit the the wrong way but I can't find the way it's supposed to go online its reading I have 256 to empty

#6 ·
I did the gas tank pickup unit clean over a year ago on an 03, however, I can not recall any issue with putting the sensors/pickups back in. I guess your just going to have to check the inatall to see if they fit in better one way or the other. There is also the possibilty one of the units is not cleaned or working correctly. Sorry I can not be of more help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.