Error code P2135! Do I have to replace the throttle body? - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
#1 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Error code P2135! Do I have to replace the throttle body?

Hi All,

I got my 2003 350z 3 weeks ago and had it washed. After washing the "service engine soon" light turned on so we took it to goodyear. The guy diagosed it and had P2135 error code, he mentioned there is water inside and he cleared it for me.

Yesterday I stopped by mall and when I came back the car threw the engine light again with SLIP and TCS OFF at the same time. It lost power and was in limp mode. I turned off/on the car a few times then the SLIP and TCS OFF gone, SES light still on but I was able to drive home. That was a big sunny day and there was absolutely no water involved.

Today I went to autozone they pulled the code it was P2135 again

TP sensor performance condition fault
Probably cause:
1. Failed TP sensor
2. Open or short circuit condition
3. Poor electrical connection

I brought the car to

mechanican 1: he said they have to do a diagnose to check the TPS, the worst case is they have to replace the throttle body as Nissan does not let you replace the sensor alone. He then called Nissan dealer and get a quote of $650 for throttle body (geez!)

mechanican 2: he said I have to bring the car to the dealer as only they can do the replacement and relearning. (Is it true?)

Dealer: Their diagnosis, labor fee are much more higher than the above.

Here are my questions:

1. I googled online the throttle body only costs about $150 at most why they are selling it for $650? I really hope I don't have to replace it.

2. I will bring the car to goodyear tmrw as they promise me a free diagnosis to re-check the problem. If it is just water, why it happened 3 weeks later again?

3. In which case that I do not have to replace the TB?

Thank you so much guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Pretty sure that was the code I threw when the TB crapped out, and yes it was only the sensors and no, they cannot be replaced. They are under the heat sink on the TB and as you will see, they are riveted on. A rebuilt TB should be about $150 at the dealer, maybe a bit more. Replacement takes 20 minutes total for off and on - nothing to it if you have allen wrench to remove. No new gasket needed either.
I'm thinking water has nothing to do with it. And I too have an '03 - believe it had about 98k on the clock when the TB failed. I had been having a high idle situation prior to it failing, for probably 6 months or maybe more. All cleared up with the new TB.
Oh yeah - welcome to Tech.

Hotchkis Z1 Motorsports JWT Hawk SSR Crawford
ZeeToyz Valentine Sumitomo Royal Purple Zaino

I like my 350 but I love my 300ZX TT more.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 01:22 AM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks

re-checked with goodyear they confirmed the TB is worn and they are not able to fix it b/c they don't know the procedure, told me to go to dealer (and they charged me 99 for diagnosis, I have to pay that to nissan too, wtf!)

The dealer told me they will use TB remade by Nissan which costs around 240(w core). The online TB costs about 150 but not sure if it's made by nissan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfZ View Post
Pretty sure that was the code I threw when the TB crapped out, and yes it was only the sensors and no, they cannot be replaced. They are under the heat sink on the TB and as you will see, they are riveted on. A rebuilt TB should be about $150 at the dealer, maybe a bit more. Replacement takes 20 minutes total for off and on - nothing to it if you have allen wrench to remove. No new gasket needed either.
I'm thinking water has nothing to do with it. And I too have an '03 - believe it had about 98k on the clock when the TB failed. I had been having a high idle situation prior to it failing, for probably 6 months or maybe more. All cleared up with the new TB.
Oh yeah - welcome to Tech.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 07:54 AM
Base Member

Hi Stonexu1984, were you ever able to get more info on the online TB? And how did your situation turn out? I'm having a high idle situation like PerfZ and may need a TB as well. Thanks, Chris
#5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Grand Touring Member

It is always nice when folks post problems and we offer some ideas that the OP gets back on and lets us know the outcome - just saying...
If after doing the reset procedures, the high idle continues, my feeling is to replace the TB - for $150 and 20 minutes of labor it is relatively cheap, and my car has had no issues at all since I did that. idle is smooth as silk at 750 RPM, gas mileage is better than it used to be (of course at $3.40 a gallon or more lately, I baby the pedal a bit more than before, lol) Again, i don't remember the exact code I had, but it did indicate throttle position sensor, which IS riveted onto the TB - under the black heat sink portion. Do NOT pay the dealership to install, but check with them on a reman TB as it will be an OEM replacement. Even if you are not all that mechanically inclined, let me know - I'll write up a step by step.

#6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 07:10 PM
Base Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfZ View Post
It is always nice when folks post problems and we offer some ideas that the OP gets back on and lets us know the outcome - just saying...
If after doing the reset procedures, the high idle continues, my feeling is to replace the TB - for $150 and 20 minutes of labor it is relatively cheap, and my car has had no issues at all since I did that. idle is smooth as silk at 750 RPM, gas mileage is better than it used to be (of course at $3.40 a gallon or more lately, I baby the pedal a bit more than before, lol) Again, i don't remember the exact code I had, but it did indicate throttle position sensor, which IS riveted onto the TB - under the black heat sink portion. Do NOT pay the dealership to install, but check with them on a reman TB as it will be an OEM replacement. Even if you are not all that mechanically inclined, let me know - I'll write up a step by step.
Thanks for that info on the TB PerfZ, i drove the car today and the idling seemed fine again. Every fault on this car seems to be intermittent, the clutch, high idling, even the radio! The high idling started after i washed the car, i never noticed it before. I wash using a bucket and rinse with a hose. No high pressure cleaning at all. I have also noticed a strong petrol smell when the car is idling - like it's running very rich. Could this point to the TB as well? I've never noticed any error codes - probably cause i don't know where to look.

Last edited by chrisdc; 10-29-2011 at 07:17 PM.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 06:44 PM
Grand Touring Member

Error codes would be if your SES/Check engine light is on. Could be a code stored even if the light is not on. You can generally get them read for free at a lot of auto parts stores. Then Google the code. When my TB totally failed, car went into Limp mode and was not drivable. But I think the high idle was connected to it being about to totally fail, although that is just a guess.

#8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 10:11 AM
Base Member

Ok, thanks. Have not done any work on the car yet, (other than wheel alignment and new tyres) just don't have the time, but i'm making lots of Z friends and learning all the time. Will post when i have results.
#9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 06:47 AM
Base Member

Car has been to Z dealer for major service and no sign of any faults / error codes logged at all. Mechanic (not just any mechanic, this guy is one of the best in the country and has just come back from training in Japan) spent most of the day on my car and recons it's fine. Did some adjustment to A/F sensor / settings and must say car is much better to drive. But revs still take a while to settle - depending on variables. Apparently this is normal. Turns out both cats have been removed by previous owner. Dealer also replaced the plugs, air cleaner, oil and oil filter, and changed the engine coolant as well. Handbrake also works now. All in all, i was very pleasantly surprised at the level of professionalism - will definitely go back. And the cost was reasonable too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement