Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner

2003 350z wont start, no crank!

39K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  jim9bob 
#1 ·
Hey whats up guys/girls,

So today after work i went to turn on my car to go home and my car does not turn onThis morning it turned on normal, no lights came on and drove just fine. When i turn the key everything lights up and it sounds like its turning but just no crank.(no clicking noise) like if it were to about to turn on but just stays turning.

The car is a 2003 6 speed touring with 94k plus miles on it. I bought it last year in october and i've maintained it very well. Changed all the fluids. What could it be? I've been reading it could be the cam sensor/cam shaft sensor/battery/NATS(nissan anti theft system but i dont get it if the key would go bad within 12 hours of working.

Any advice would be awesome and really appreciated.

Side note: The car is at my job still and the nearest dealership is about 20 miles. so im stuck doing it myself and hire a on site mechanic.

Thanks for looking

#3 ·
Stock or aftermarket alarm? The last time my car did that was because my aftermarket alarm was shithouse, and it occasionally wouldn't de-immobilise some of its points of contact with the OEM electrics.

So sometimes my car would start without a hitch. Other times I'd not get my fuel pump but the thing would crank. Other times I could hear the fuel pump prime but I'd have no starter motor.

Great times...

#5 ·
One of my local friends has an occasional starting problem like that and the dealer said it has something to do with the immobilizer/key chip starting to fail. Not sure I buy that but if he removes the key from the ignition and starts over, the car generally starts.

#9 ·
well I found the problem through trail and error guys, so apparently my alarm was draining my battery to the point of it being dead, when I had it jump started my alternator fried out trying to charge the battery. I even took a scanner to check if any codes came up and nothing so that was a relief. Anyone recommend a good spot to buy an Alternator? btw appreciate the input guys! good to know this site exist for us 350z lovers.