User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
#1 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Engine problem: Not cranking

So I got a '05 350z motor from my brother in law. He was going to install it in his 240sx, but sold the car and now I want to swap into my 240z. He bought it about 2 years ago and has been sitting since. I dont believe he cranked it every so often. He cant remember when he bought it if it ever actually cranked nicely. Now that I have it I tried cranking it and it will only do one almost full rotation. Meaning the piston starts from the bottom and stops back at the bottom. This also goes for it counter clockwise. Oil pan didnt have any metal pieces. It also makes a puff sound from one exhaust opening when cranked, instead of having compression. I havent taken it apart because it looks a little complicated due to the timing chain and not having the manual. Does anyone have an idea to why it will only crank this much? Im tryomg to see if it's worth taking apart and price to fix it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by LeeRoy_LB; 12-09-2010 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Minor errors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Enthusiast Member

sell it.

2003 Black ex. Orangein. 350z 6MT
Stage 2 Clutch
Grounding Kit
Kenetix Intake Manifold
Megan Headers
Megan Racing Test Pipes
Momentum Performance Single GT35R Turbo Kit
Nismo Exhaust

--------------------------------------

Tuned by Vinny Ten Racing @ 425 rwhp 411 rwtq

Coming Soon:

Built Motor

For Sale:

Injen SES Full Exhaust System

2006 Revup Motor /w 24,000 Miles on it!
#3 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 12:29 AM
Performance Member

How old is the battery your using? It might be charged, but there's no cold cranking amps to turn the motor over... Our motors use a nice size battery.

Imo.. It's not a vacuum, sensor, or gasoline issue because if they were all missing, it would still let your motor crank over, but it won't turn on. I think it would have to be a problem with the battery, ecu, or ignition system.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 04:56 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanabe350z View Post
How old is the battery your using? It might be charged, but there's no cold cranking amps to turn the motor over... Our motors use a nice size battery.

Imo.. It's not a vacuum, sensor, or gasoline issue because if they were all missing, it would still let your motor crank over, but it won't turn on. I think it would have to be a problem with the battery, ecu, or ignition system.
Oh sorry I think I forgot to mention it won't crank over by hand. The engine is out of the car so the battery won't be any help. And yeah I have some experience with motor swapping(swap motors at home). Only about 2 years of experience cause I'm only 21, but i've swapped a few motors and barred them like nothing within the years. Just trying to see if anyone might know what's wrong with it with these symptoms, before I think about tearing it apart(which I don't really want to).
#5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 08:49 AM
Base Member

If you can't crank it over by hand then you don't really want to even mess with that motor. There's probably more wrong with it then you would want to get into.

2001 Celica

2zz Swap||Apexi PowerFC||TRD Kazuma||K&N CAI||Speed Star||8000K||Koyo Radiator||TRD Thermostat||Energy Suspension||03+ Interior||AEM Wideband||
#6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Grand Touring Member

does it just not move at that point? you can feel/hear it just jam up?

how hard have you tried to crank it past that point? Some times it will take a little more force to get past a certain point.

If it just wont move and is absolutely stuck, then no good. It might be something wrong with the chain(s), there are three, or one of the sprockets the chain(s) move on

Or maybe a bent valve that is stuck open, if you have the plenum and the collector off you could see down the intakes and from the exhaust side without the headers in place to check the valve operation
#7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

I'm curious about this topic since I've got a little project going myself. Anything I can learn about rebuilding engines would help.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
#8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 11:04 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo56 View Post
If you can't crank it over by hand then you don't really want to even mess with that motor. There's probably more wrong with it then you would want to get into.
Yeah, that's what I think too, but then there's the other question. What if its only just some little issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westpak View Post
does it just not move at that point? you can feel/hear it just jam up?

how hard have you tried to crank it past that point? Some times it will take a little more force to get past a certain point.

If it just wont move and is absolutely stuck, then no good. It might be something wrong with the chain(s), there are three, or one of the sprockets the chain(s) move on

Or maybe a bent valve that is stuck open, if you have the plenum and the collector off you could see down the intakes and from the exhaust side without the headers in place to check the valve operation
It won't move at just that point. I can hear it when it hits and it sounds like it's hitting the valve or something. If I crank it clockwise the valve closes completely, but if i crank it counterclockwise and it reaches the stopping point, the valve is slightly open in the same exhaust port (I'm only talking about one exhaust port because the other clylinders slide up and down nicely).

The plenum and headers are off and I can see the valves. They seem to open and close nicely. I sprayed some carb cleaner in the exhaust ports when the valves are closed to see it there are any leaks, but there was none except for one port. But the valves haven't closed completely because the lobe is still pushing down on it slightly, but the piston is almost to the top. I'm think maybe a timing chain issue also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement