Passenger Window - Will not open or close - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
#1 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Performance Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
All,

I've read a few threads about the questionable window motors on the 350Z. I'm not sure if only certain model years fall victim to bad window motors, but I experienced my first issue in my 05 Z a few days ago. My passenger window simply stopped going up and down. It will not respond at all to either window control switch in the Z. However, I noticed that the "auto-seal" feature (slight lowering upon door opening, reseal window after closing door) still works. My question is this: how could the motor make the auto-seal feature work, but not completely lower/raise the window via switch? Could it be something else, like a bad circuit/switch/etc.? Anyone else ever had the auto-seal work, but lose the ability to open/close the window?

Also, I will definitely investigate the motor cleaning suggestions per numerous threads on this forum. However, I figured my issue might not be the motor since the auto-seal feature still works.

As always, any thoughts are appreciated.

QuicksilverZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 07:33 PM
Grand Touring Member

Try this, if you hold the unlock button on the key fob for, say, five seconds, the windows should roll down. If they do, I'd guess that the problem is in the switches somewhere. At the very least, you will know that the motor is (or is not) capable of rolling the window the way up.

But wait, maybe that's not a good idea because you can't roll it back up with the key fob so it'd be stuck down.

'03 Enthusiast-UpRev-Nismo-VOLK-Stillen-Motordyne-INGS+1-Lightwerkz-Brembo-StopTech-Injen-K&N
275WHP/245WTQ
#3 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Performance Member

(Thread Starter)
Ok, I tried the neat key fob trick where the windows roll down after holding the unlock button for 5 seconds. Good news: the window went down. Bad news: I can't get it to roll back up!

It now seems that the motor is not the problem since the window went down. Now that the window won't go back up via the switches, my next guess is an electrical problem of some sort. Anyone have any guesses about what this issue could be? Any experience in fixing a similar problem? Estimated costs to repair?

If I can't get it to go back up tonight, I'll be visiting my dealership tomorrow. I'll pass along whatever I learn there, but hope it doesn't cost me a fortune to roll up my window...
#4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 09:55 PM
Performance Member

(Thread Starter)
QUOTE (QuickSilverZ @ Mar 17 2010, 08:38 PM)
Quote:
Ok, I tried the neat key fob trick where the windows roll down after holding the unlock button for 5 seconds. Good news: the window went down. Bad news: I can't get it to roll back up!

It now seems that the motor is not the problem since the window went down. Now that the window won't go back up via the switches, my next guess is an electrical problem of some sort. Anyone have any guesses about what this issue could be? Any experience in fixing a similar problem? Estimated costs to repair?

If I can't get it to go back up tonight, I'll be visiting my dealership tomorrow. I'll pass along whatever I learn there, but hope it doesn't cost me a fortune to roll up my window...
All,

I went and searched through some other articles online and found a neat way to raise the windows without using the switches. If you insert your key into the keyhole, turn the key right and hold for 3-5 seconds the windows automatically go up all the way.

Thus, my window is now back up. Success!

Now all I have to do is figure out why I can't use my window switches on either door Z!o:

Anyone have experience in reprogramming the window regulator? Replacing a circuit/switch/connection in the window unit? I've also read this can be an issue.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

There's a reset button for the window. Might want to give that a try.

I've done all those other tricks mentioned, but the problem is in the motor. I'm getting a new one soon. I hope it solves my window problem.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
#6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 10:08 PM
Performance Member

(Thread Starter)
QUOTE (SmoothZ @ Mar 17 2010, 09:03 PM)
Quote:

I've done all those other tricks mentioned, but the problem is in the motor. I'm getting a new one soon. I hope it solves my window problem.
Thanks for the feedback SmoothZ. Does the door panel have to be removed to reach the reset button?

Or, would the dealership be able to reset in another manner?

At least my window is up, and I can drive it elsewhere haha. Let me know of any other thoughts...would like to cruise with windows down at some point!
#7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/TSB_04-089_...Reset_Procedure

Yes, you have to remove the door panel. It's not hard. DIY instead of taking it to the stealership.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
#8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothZ View Post

I tried the holding the key in the door, too. While it worked for the driver's side window (with which I was having no problems), it didn't make the passenger's side window go up.
Did you try the "reset" thing by taking off the door?
Did you end up needing a new motor? Was it pricey?
Thanks!
#9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 09:17 AM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Pretty sure you need a new motor for the passenger side. About $150 for aftermarket, considerably more at the dealer for OEM.

Hotchkis Z1 Motorsports JWT Hawk SSR Crawford
ZeeToyz Valentine Sumitomo Royal Purple Zaino

I like my 350 but I love my 300ZX TT more. Sorry....
#10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaMaryTN View Post
I tried the holding the key in the door, too. While it worked for the driver's side window (with which I was having no problems), it didn't make the passenger's side window go up.
Did you try the "reset" thing by taking off the door?
Did you end up needing a new motor? Was it pricey?
Thanks!
I bought a 'new' refurbished motor from the auto parts store. It cost me about $130, and I installed it myself.

You have to take off the interior door panel to do the install and reset.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement