Paint Chips - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
#1 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 10:29 PM
Base Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Burleson, Tx
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
has anyone else had issues with paint chipping on their Super Black cars?
i have an 03 which has 50,000 miles; the front and hood are completely covered with chips. it started chipping little by little after i first got it, and now it needs to be repainted. i should have brought it to the dealer's attention when it started, but i didn't know it would get as bad as it has. only other car i had this problem on before was a Volkswagen Passat back in 92.
my 83 K5 blazer with 200,000 miles looks better.
ztejas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 11:24 PM
Enthusiast Member
 
DimondStarMotors's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: rancho cucamonga
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes. I have an 03 and my bumper,hood,windshield are starting to get bad!!. I called my insurance company and told them about how I was driving behind a big rig in the mountains and got all these chips(true story)and they told me to pay my 500$ deductible and get some quotes from body shops to repaint and get a new windshield.

"Making everyday drivers into mechanics since 1989".

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
ALL SUPPORTING MODS-Megan racing turbo back, afc neo, BIG16g turbo, SBR manifold, 44mm Tial external wastegate, Greedy RS BOV, Walbro 190lph , 650cc injecters, 2G MAF, stage 1 clutch.....MORE TO COME

"I call her Thug Nasty"

2003 Nissan 350Z
MOD-Tanabe GF210 springs, Tokiko Blue, S2000 antenna, Rotas P45R +20 18X9.5 255/40/18 275/40/18. K@N drop in
DimondStarMotors is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 12:37 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
QUOTE (ztejas @ Nov 18 2008, 08:29 PM)
Quote:
has anyone else had issues with paint chipping on their Super Black cars?
i have an 03 which has 50,000 miles; the front and hood are completely covered with chips. it started chipping little by little after i first got it, and now it needs to be repainted. i should have brought it to the dealer's attention when it started, but i didn't know it would get as bad as it has. only other car i had this problem on before was a Volkswagen Passat back in 92.
my 83 K5 blazer with 200,000 miles looks better.

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. IT LOOKED LIKE THE SCENE JUMPING TO HYPERSPACE IN STAR WARS. MY ROADSTER IS SUPER BLACK. I WAS FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO HAVE SOME DUFFUS BACK UP ONTO MY NOSE ON THE MAIN STREET IN MY TOWN WITH A CAYENNE. GOT HIS INSURANCE CO. TO PAY FOR REPAIRS (A NEW FRONT END) ALONG WITH REPLACING THE CAI CARBON FIBER DUCT AND SEALED LICENSE PLATE COVER. I WAITED 4 WEEKS AND PUT ON THE 3M CLEAR BRA THAT I HAD BOUGHT 2 YEARS BEFORE, BEFORE I REALIZED HOW BAD THE PAINT CHIPPING ALREADY WAS. SAVED $800 BUT IT WAS A TOUGH GO. TOOK ME 7.5 HOURS TO PUT IT ON. YOU NEED TO STRETCH IT AROUND THE CORNERS ABOUT 4 TO 6 INCHES. I WAS DOING IT IN 60 DEGREE WEATHER AND THE ONLY WAY THE 0.8MM STUFF WOULD MOVE WAS TO USE A HEAT GUN OR HAIR DRYER FOR EVERY INCH TO SOFTEN IT UP. HAVE A GO. THE CLEAR BRA IS CHEAP AND YOU CAN ALWAYS PULL IT OFF IF YOU SCREW IT UP.
LOOK ON YOU TUBE FOR A 4 PART VIDEO ON INSTALLATION. THE COMPANY THAT MADE THE VIDEO IS THE SAME CO I BOUGHT THE BRA FROM. I ALSO HAVE THE HOOD BRA BUT I'M GOING TO WAIT FOR SPRING TO PUT IT ON. IT WILL PROBABLY BE EASIER AS THE CONTOUR IS MUCH FLATTER.
ROPPZTER is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Moderator
 
jinxxycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 36,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jinxxycat Send a message via Yahoo to jinxxycat
Yes chips are gonna happen, mine looks like I drove thru a picket fence. In retro spect I wish I had the dealer install a clear bra before I drove it off the lot. Now, I just deal with it. If you do get your bumper resprayed I'd get the clear bra but make sure the paint is fully cured before install. I had a friend who had one installed on hers after she got it repainted, and it lifted the paint right off the bumper. Good luck
jinxxycat is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Base Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Burleson, Tx
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
i expect some chips, but this is ridiculous...especially for how it's driven. out of 20 cars i've owned over the past 29 years, i've never had one chip like this...and i drove in Texas for 20 years.
this is the only issue i've ever had with the car.

whenever it gets repainted i'll definitely get the clear bra installed. a coworker had it installed on his mazda speed 6; it looks good and no chips. but how does the paint look after awhile, and how does it look compared to the rest of the car? if you keep the rest of the car waxed, what do you do with the plastic coated part?

QUOTE (jinxxycat @ Nov 19 2008, 04:48 AM)
Quote:
Yes chips are gonna happen, mine looks like I drove thru a picket fence. In retro spect I wish I had the dealer install a clear bra before I drove it off the lot. Now, I just deal with it. If you do get your bumper resprayed I'd get the clear bra but make sure the paint is fully cured before install. I had a friend who had one installed on hers after she got it repainted, and it lifted the paint right off the bumper. Good luck
ztejas is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Moderator
 
jinxxycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 36,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jinxxycat Send a message via Yahoo to jinxxycat
QUOTE (ztejas @ Nov 19 2008, 01:40 PM)
Quote:
i expect some chips, but this is ridiculous...especially for how it's driven. out of 20 cars i've owned over the past 29 years, i've never had one chip like this...and i drove in Texas for 20 years.
this is the only issue i've ever had with the car.

whenever it gets repainted i'll definitely get the clear bra installed. a coworker had it installed on his mazda speed 6; it looks good and no chips. but how does the paint look after awhile, and how does it look compared to the rest of the car? if you keep the rest of the car waxed, what do you do with the plastic coated part?
You can wax the clear bra, but I don't bother w/ the one I have no my audi. I don't plan on taking the bra off the car before I trade it in or sell it so I am not really concerned with it.
jinxxycat is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 11:00 PM
Grand Touring Member
 
idrm350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 3,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the reason that your Blazer looks better is that it is much higher above the ground. That extra height means it comes in contact with less bouncing rocks and gravel. I don't have a super black Z (mine is CS) but I still have tons of rock chips. I think its not due to crap paint by Nissan, I think its just the wide low design of the front end. If you look closely, I think you'll notice that there are more chips as you go down, indicating that the height is the cause. I think its something that happens with sports cars with a low wide stance. Nature of the beast so to speak.

'03 Enthusiast-UpRev-Nismo-VOLK-Stillen-Motordyne-INGS+1-Lightwerkz-Brembo-StopTech-Injen-K&N
275WHP/245WTQ
idrm350 is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 12:00 AM
Base Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Burleson, Tx
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
QUOTE (IDrm350 @ Nov 19 2008, 06:00 PM)
Quote:
I think the reason that your Blazer looks better is that it is much higher above the ground. That extra height means it comes in contact with less bouncing rocks and gravel. I don't have a super black Z (mine is CS) but I still have tons of rock chips. I think its not due to crap paint by Nissan, I think its just the wide low design of the front end. If you look closely, I think you'll notice that there are more chips as you go down, indicating that the height is the cause. I think its something that happens with sports cars with a low wide stance. Nature of the beast so to speak.

i realize it takes more hits from gravel and rocks because of it's height, but i never had this happen to my integra or any camaro, and they sat just as low with sloping hood...the blazer gets a lot of off road abuse and should look worse...i'm not so sure it isn't a paint issue...it seems there are more every time i drive it and getting worse each time it's driven...and i don't drive it that much, and i'm particular about where i drive it...i'll try and post a pic soon...there are so many chips, it looks like snow all across the front of my car...
ztejas is offline  
#9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 02:36 AM
Grand Touring Member
 
idrm350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 3,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess as an experiment, you could try having the bumper repainted with another brand of paint. If the new paint doesn't get as many rock chips that will isolate the paint as the cause. Mine is so bad that I have a new bumper cover waiting for paint. They are almost cheaper than the labor to strip the old one. Hopefully, if the paint is the cause, the new paint will be better and I won't get as many.

'03 Enthusiast-UpRev-Nismo-VOLK-Stillen-Motordyne-INGS+1-Lightwerkz-Brembo-StopTech-Injen-K&N
275WHP/245WTQ
idrm350 is offline  
#10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 02:40 AM
Base Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Burleson, Tx
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
QUOTE (IDrm350 @ Nov 19 2008, 09:36 PM)
Quote:
I guess as an experiment, you could try having the bumper repainted with another brand of paint. If the new paint doesn't get as many rock chips that will isolate the paint as the cause. Mine is so bad that I have a new bumper cover waiting for paint. They are almost cheaper than the labor to strip the old one. Hopefully, if the paint is the cause, the new paint will be better and I won't get as many.
yeah, i'll end up getting a new cover painted and put it on...you are right, it would cost more to try to repair the original...and i'll probably get a CF hood and have it painted instead of repairing the orignal.
ztejas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome