Dash lights stay on and speedometer not working! - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
#1 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hey everyone,

First of all, thanks to everyone who makes forums like this one possible because it really helps. Anyway, here is my problem and I hope someone can point me in the right direction:

My navigation "lid" was getting stuck...dealer wouldn't repair even under my Gold-preferred service agreement because it's an electrical problem...Well, I took my car to an auto electrical repair shop. They diagnosed my problem as the "amplifier" that sits behind the three gauges on the dash...this part controls the lid, so they said it was fried. I bought another one on courtesyparts.com for $150, shipped. I think that's a good deal...anyway, after the electric repair shop dismantled my dash, I decided to buy the part myself and reinstall everything myself. I haven't done it yet and my question is this: can I drive my car for about an hour with all my dash warning lights on and my speedometer not working? I don't know if this would damage the car at all...I'm driving to my brother's house so he can help me reinstall everything...any feedback would be good. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 06:24 PM
Base Member

Although not done with the Z, with another car I got, the speedo also died and I was able to drive for about 220km fine till I got home! No problems except that the car kept on stalling at low RPMs because the engine didn't understand it was running (dealer told me it wasn't harmful whatsoever to the engine).

Don't see why the Z but the again, I'm no expert.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 05:40 AM
Base Member

Send a message via AIM to Kameseri
I'm not sure on the Z. I'd assume it'd be fine to drive but you may have to clear some codes when you get everything reinstalled. When you turn the key to RUN, the ECU goes through a gauge lamp check, and cycles all the important gauges on or off... so if it doesn't recieve a signal from one.. or all of them it may throw a code..

Or you might have no problems at all. I can't really tell you for sure.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 11:51 PM
Base Member

QUOTE (josemaciel @ Feb 26 2008, 03:08 PM)
Quote:
Hey everyone,

First of all, thanks to everyone who makes forums like this one possible because it really helps. Anyway, here is my problem and I hope someone can point me in the right direction:

My navigation "lid" was getting stuck...dealer wouldn't repair even under my Gold-preferred service agreement because it's an electrical problem...Well, I took my car to an auto electrical repair shop. They diagnosed my problem as the "amplifier" that sits behind the three gauges on the dash...this part controls the lid, so they said it was fried. I bought another one on courtesyparts.com for $150, shipped. I think that's a good deal...anyway, after the electric repair shop dismantled my dash, I decided to buy the part myself and reinstall everything myself. I haven't done it yet and my question is this: can I drive my car for about an hour with all my dash warning lights on and my speedometer not working? I don't know if this would damage the car at all...I'm driving to my brother's house so he can help me reinstall everything...any feedback would be good. Thanks guys.

did the lid close and still work?? i am having the same problems right now. mine gets stuck halfway and then i have to shake it to go up is this the same problem you had
#5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 10:07 AM

Not sure about the nav issue, but you can drive fine without speedo gauges and such hooked up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement