Premium vs. Regular unleaded gas - Nissan 350Z Forum : 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2007, 07:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Wondering if anyone could give me the heads up in regards to gas to use in my 350Z. Previously had a maxima that I only used regualr unleaded in instead of the premium unleaded like was plastered all over the gas cap and manual and never had one problem (turned 200,000 miles last week)....does this hold true for the 350z? Don't want to push my luck but no need to pay the extra if there really is no need....thanks
gillham68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2007, 07:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via AIM to waitin407

The car should run fine on the regular unleaded gas I've read in quite a few places that people run regular unleaded and have no problems, however it is better for the engine if you run the higher octane. IIRC the computer in the car will adjust itself to the different fuel, but you'll definitely get better performance from the premium.
waitin407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Don't be a cheapskate, put the premium in. If you run regular you will get knock under load or during high outside ambient temps. The ECU will pull timing, performance will be impacted.

Trust me, car makers don't want to have to specify premium because it negatively impacts sales. So rest assured, when they tell you to put in premium they generally aren't kidding.

Ronin Z

"If you want me to treat your ideas with more respect, get some better ideas." -John Scalzi
Vi veri universum vivus vici

Ronin Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
dad
Grand Touring Member

Quote:
Don't be a cheapskate, put the premium in. If you run regular you will get knock under load or during high outside ambient temps. The ECU will pull timing, performance will be impacted.

Trust me, car makers don't want to have to specify premium because it negatively impacts sales. So rest assured, when they tell you to put in premium they generally aren't kidding.

Ronin Z
+1
dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via AIM to Dave079 Send a message via Yahoo to Dave079

There are reasons why the owners manual says to put premium. The Z's engine is high compression which requires higher octane. Pay the extra couple dollars per tank.

Sold the Z :(

AIM: dave079
Dave079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Touring Member

Send a message via MSN to PaulO

Aloha,
In the short term, it seems economically good.........pennywise, pound foolish. The engine will start to build up deposits and you will start to see performance and mileage issues. BTW, cheap premium is also not a good idea. Chevron, Shell, 76, the "name" brands have additional additives (detergents) to help keep the fuel system clean, and fuel to burn better. If you're using Costco gas, be sure to use a fuel additive at least once every two or three fill ups.

A Hui Hou

PaulO

ps. when your lady needs a drink, don't you buy her "topshelf"?

2005 Lemans Sunset "Fairlady Z" Roadster, 18" wheels, LLumar Protect Film, Formula One 35% Ceramic Tint, Injen MR short Intake, Varis Intake Duct, Max Ground Kit (raffle win), DEI Hornet 700T Alarm System, Hardwired/mounted Passport 8500, Silver bulbs, smoked reflectors, Painted headlights with smoked strip. Gorilla Nuts lugnuts, JWT Oil Pan Spacer, Hawk HPS Pads, Stillen pillar vane XD and slotted rotors, PIPS
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Touring Member

Use the Premium.
zguyd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to scathing Send a message via MSN to scathing

Quote:
Wondering if anyone could give me the heads up in regards to gas to use in my 350Z. Previously had a maxima that I only used regualr unleaded in instead of the premium unleaded like was plastered all over the gas cap and manual and never had one problem (turned 200,000 miles last week)....does this hold true for the 350z? Don't want to push my luck but no need to pay the extra if there really is no need....thanks
If you can't afford to run your car on the good stuff, you'd be better off selling the car and buying another econobox than running it on shithouse fluids.

Its a sports car, and it runs better on higher performance products. If the high performance thing doesn't interest you, why bother driving a car so unsuited to commuting?

Understeer is when you hit the tree with the front wheel.
Oversteer is when you hit it with the back.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the tree...
Torque is how far you drag it...
scathing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Performance Member

Quote:
If you can't afford to run your car on the good stuff, you'd be better off selling the car and buying another econobox than running it on shithouse fluids.

Its a sports car, and it runs better on higher performance products. If the high performance thing doesn't interest you, why bother driving a car so unsuited to commuting?
+1, seriously this post goes along the same lines as people upset when they only get 20K miles on tires. Why would someone buy a sports car and then see what they can get away with that will compromise performance?
m1abrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to scathing Send a message via MSN to scathing

You get 20K miles on tires!?!!?

The most I've ever gotten out of a set of tyres is around 15K miles, on DZ101s. My first two sets of RE040s lasted around 10K miles each (but I did do track days on them, the DZ101s only did 1 track day.....and that was in the wet so I spent all day drifting).

I'm quite happy that I've managed to get around 10K miles out of my current RT215s, which still have a reasonable amount of tread. I haven't been particularly nice to them either, but once again no track days.

Understeer is when you hit the tree with the front wheel.
Oversteer is when you hit it with the back.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the tree...
Torque is how far you drag it...
scathing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement