User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
#1 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 01:19 AM
Base Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
so im on the freeway racing an wrx sti first run he got me but we ran 2 more times and i ran hard and got him both times, but now my (service engine soon) light came on, every thing seems to be running good and my car is still running strong but should i worry i dont know what it could be. i have many moods (all bolt ons) like intake exhaust etc etc.. does any one have any idea what it could be? thanks for the help. by the way i have an 06 whith only 17k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 02:18 AM
Grand Touring Member

Quote:
so im on the freeway racing an wrx sti first run he got me but we ran 2 more times and i ran hard and got him both times, but now my (service engine soon) light came on, every thing seems to be running good and my car is still running strong but should i worry i dont know what it could be. i have many moods (all bolt ons) like intake exhaust etc etc.. does any one have any idea what it could be? thanks for the help. by the way i have an 06 whith only 17k miles
Find a way to reset it. It's just a dummy light and a way for nissan to get you're buisiness.

In my 2001 acura when the service engine soon light would come on it would stumble at idle for a few miles and go away.

I think it was purposfully programmed that way.

in my acura all i had to do was hold down a button under the dash with the ignition turned to the on position with out starting the car and it went away.

there has got to be a way to reset it.

Varis duct, K&N drop in , Motordyne 5/16 plenum spacer, Megan Headers, Megan Y pipe, Stock H.I.D. conversion, Topspeed A-arms w/adjustable camber, BC Racing Coilovers, Hotchkis sways (front stiffest rear middle). Stern Beast ST1 19 inch staggered wheels , Falken FK-452 Rubber. Whiteline urethane bushings
Next temporary mod is resonated test pipes with the stock y-pipe.
Next year Stillen supercharger stage 2 kit---order stage 3 pulley separately.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 02:36 AM
Grand Touring Member

Reset it and wait for it to come back before you get concerned. It is likely nothing serious. Mine came on last month showing fuel mapping/ delivery and electronic something or another, and, after resetting it, I haven't had any problems
#4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 01:47 AM
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
how do i reset it, does any one know?
#5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 11:35 PM
Base Member

Quote:
how do i reset it, does any one know?
Just take it to pepboys or autozone and let them scan it (for free), to find what code it is. Then come back with the code and we can tell you if its a problem or not, untill then it could be hundreds of things.
#6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 07:02 PM
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
well i took my car to autozone after scaning it the guy said it was the purge valve that is staing open...... im not a mechanic any idea what this means? is it bad? how can i fix? how much will it cost to fix? sorry for all the questions but i dont have a clue if this is bad or if its no big deal..
#7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 07:21 PM
Grand Touring Member

what was the actual code?
http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/nissan/

"I'm Shiva the God of Death.", Michael Clayton.
#8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
wow i dont remember the actual code but i will go again as soon as i can and will get it.
thanks surfcity that link should really help narrow it down
#9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 10:38 PM
Base Member

Quote:
well i took my car to autozone after scaning it the guy said it was the purge valve that is staing open...... im not a mechanic any idea what this means? is it bad? how can i fix? how much will it cost to fix? sorry for all the questions but i dont have a clue if this is bad or if its no big deal..
Modern cars have a device called an EVAP canister, which collects gasoline vapors from the gas tank. The purge valve then purges the gasoline vapors into the intake manifold which are then burned in the combustion chamber. The OBDII system on your car can detect any leaks in the evap system and will turn on the ses light and set a code.
#10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 10:42 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quote:
Modern cars have a device called an EVAP canister, which collects gasoline vapors from the gas tank. The purge valve then purges the gasoline vapors into the intake manifold which are then burned in the combustion chamber. The OBDII system on your car can detect any leaks in the evap system and will turn on the ses light and set a code.
yes, but it can also be other issues. I am more comfortable offering advice when I know the actual code that came up.

The MIL (malfuntion indicator lamp) most likely indicates a potential emmisions control issue. It can also come on merely because the fuel filler cap is loose.

It can come on in two ways. If it's a steady on an emmissions control issue has been detected. If it's blinking an engine misfire has been detected. Stay below 45 mph.

"I'm Shiva the God of Death.", Michael Clayton.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement