Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner

O2 sensor replacement

34K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  6spd z33 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Generally, sensors described as "universal" require you to splice the connector from the old sensor onto the new one. Sensors described as "OE" usually come with the correct connector attached, so they cost a bit more.

To remove the old sensor and install the new one you need a special O2 sensor socket with a slit in the side for the wiring harness to fit through. You should be able to find one ant any decent auto parts store. Put some copper anti-seize on the threads of the new sensor before you install it, but be very careful not to get any on the sensor itself or you will ruin it. The correct torque is 45 N-m or 33 lb-ft.

#3 ·
Suzie Q - I know it's two to three times more expensive but I'd go with a OEM quality replacement from a well know, well respected brand such as Bosch. It's a direct replacement, will take a minute to swap out and there will be no messy soldering or wrapping the wires with electrical tape.

2004-2007 Nissan 350Z Oxygen Sensor - Bosch W0133-1606776 - Driver Side, Lower

remember that you get what you pay for and an O2 sensor is something that you don't want to take short-cuts on. The ECU and the engine will use the sensor to optimally and efficiently perform its functions.

#4 ·
3point5:

I will still require the special O2 sensor wrench, correct? And you recommend the copper anti-seize for the sensor threading?

And just to verify. P0057 is Bank 2 Sensor 2, which is the passenger's side sensor behind the catalytic converter.

And the likely reason I'm throwing this code is because of a bad sensor? The Berk TP has the recess bung for the sensor, so it shouldn't go off if the sensor is working correctly. Bank 1 sensor has not thrown a code yet.

I appreciate all the help.

Rob

#5 ·
Rob,

I don't think it's a special wrench to get the o2 sensor out of the bung/exhaust pipe and YES you'll need anti-seize paste for the new sensor. I believe you can use the existing bung but you should check by taking the old sensor threading it into the new bung (that's included with the new sensor) to verify that it fits. I'd also take a wire brush to the old bung to clean any gunk/debris off before installing thew new sensor.

I am not sure which error code P0057 relates to - double check on the trusty internet.

If the new sensor is NOT the fix, then you can plug the old one back in and either attempt to return the sensor or just hang on to it…you'll need it sooner or later...

If memory serves me right, which it never does, I think I had a P0057 a few years back and I chased the 02 sensor and it wasnt the sensor…I want to say it was the cam shaft sensors…call me crazy…I hope I'm wrong because the entire fix was $1800 at a respected shop in salt lake city, utah.

Continue to look into the issue before you go down either road...

#8 ·
2003-2006 Nissan 350Z Oxygen Sensor - Denso 234-4210 - After Catalytic Converter, Driver Side, OE replacement, 4-wire

I'm throwing a p0057 CEL. Bank 2, sensor 2. This being the O2 sensor on the passenger side behind the cat converter.

This is a 4-wire O2 sensor. Will this mesh?

How does installation proceed? Unhook the factory connection and insert (or soder) the proper wires in place, install the probe in the bung, then connect the newly wired probe to the factory harness?

Thanks.

Rob
to answer your question.. no that will not fit.. if you need a passenger side sensor then you should search for passenger side.. not driver's side

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.